Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco 5002 switch (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365776-cisco-5002-switch.html)

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com 08-21-2006 09:47 PM

Cisco 5002 switch

Hi

I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

Thanks
Dilan

Merv 08-21-2006 10:23 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

on a 5002, the SUP goes in slot 1 and assuming have a line card module
in slot 2 that would not a slot for the RSM

Walter Roberson 08-21-2006 10:27 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

In article <1156196837.005313.76490@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
<dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

>Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com 08-22-2006 09:23 AM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <1156196837.005313.76490@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
> <dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

> >Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

> Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
or is there another way?

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-22-2006 01:15 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com wrote:
> Walter Roberson wrote:
> > In article <1156196837.005313.76490@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
> > <dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

> > >Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

> > Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

> Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
> or is there another way?

I seem to recall that -

If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
external router doing the routing of the initial packets.

This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
is in current software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80133fc5.shtml
Updated: Aug 30, 2005

"Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."

This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
need a router.

"Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
Catalyst 5000."

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-22-2006 01:19 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com wrote:
> > Walter Roberson wrote:

> > > Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

> > Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
> > or is there another way?

> I seem to recall that -
>
> If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
> MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
> external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
>
> This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
> ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
> L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
> is in current software.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80133fc5.shtml
> Updated: Aug 30, 2005
>
> "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
> with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
>
> This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
> need a router.
>
> "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
> Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
> 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
> Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
> Catalyst 5000."

BTW

MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
broken.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-22-2006 01:21 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> > dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
> > > or is there another way?

> > I seem to recall that -
> >
> > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
> > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
> > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
> >
> > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
> > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
> > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
> > is in current software.
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80133fc5.shtml
> > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
> >
> > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
> > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
> >
> > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
> > need a router.
> >
> > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
> > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
> > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
> > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
> > Catalyst 5000."

> BTW
>
> MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
> However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
> broken.

Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current,
different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.

It's IP MLS.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-22-2006 01:23 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-22-2006 01:25 PM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> > B...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> > > I seem to recall that -
> > >
> > > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
> > > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
> > > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
> > >
> > > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
> > > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
> > > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
> > > is in current software.
> > >
> > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80133fc5.shtml
> > > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
> > >
> > > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
> > > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
> > >
> > > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
> > > need a router.
> > >
> > > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
> > > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
> > > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
> > > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
> > > Catalyst 5000."

> > BTW
> >
> > MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
> > However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
> > broken.

> Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current,
> different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.
>
> It's IP MLS.

Feature Navigator says that 1841, 2691, 28xx, 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, and
many bigger support MLS.

brink 08-23-2006 07:57 AM

Re: Cisco 5002 switch

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.
>
> Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?
>
> Thanks
> Dilan

from the product overview on CCO :

"All switches, except the Catalyst 5002 switch, accept the Route Switch
Module (RSM) "

seems pretty clear. The same document will also tell you it will not
support a supIII, but there are 2 versions of the 5002, one with and
one without a PFC. Do a show module to see if you've got a PFC. If not,
no intervlan routing. If yes, you could try using an external router,
see "configuring intervlan routing"using an external router in the
CatOS documentation. If you've got an external router to help out,
using that as a router on a stick is probably easier.