Velocity Reviews

-   -   sipgate new user hassles (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365771-sipgate-new-user-hassles.html)

Mick 08-21-2006 09:24 PM

sipgate new user hassles

Folks

I have bought myself a Linksys SPA1001 ATA and have attached it to the
router.

I disabled DHCP and assigned a static IP address as I have for all my
network items.

I have followed the instructions on the SIPGATE pages about various
settings etc - but I have two main problems.

1). I get no dial tone and cannot dial out - and

2). In trying to credit my SIPGATE account, I cannot work out how to
dial the 10200 to get the security code for the credit routine. I
assume this is from the phone - with no dial tone.

Can someone please assist and offer some clues where it has all gone
wrong!

Thanks.

Mick

Mick 08-21-2006 09:42 PM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Mick wrote:

> Folks
>
> I have bought myself a Linksys SPA1001 ATA and have attached it to the
> router.
>
> I disabled DHCP and assigned a static IP address as I have for all my
> network items.
>
> I have followed the instructions on the SIPGATE pages about various
> settings etc - but I have two main problems.
>
> 1). I get no dial tone and cannot dial out - and
>
> 2). In trying to credit my SIPGATE account, I cannot work out how to
> dial the 10200 to get the security code for the credit routine. I
> assume this is from the phone - with no dial tone.
>
> Can someone please assist and offer some clues where it has all gone
> wrong!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mick

Um ... I seem to have solved the dial tone issue - I found a setting
that allowed calls to be made without registering - so that gave a dial
tone to allow me to dial 10200 for the security code - but all I get is
the number unavailable tone ....... and if I dial an external number I
get the same tone (not surprising if I haven't any credit to make a
call with).

Incoming calls to my SIPGATE number are met with "the number you are
calling is not available" but a message can be left - so - I assume
that's also becuase I have no credit?

Have I still missed something - or is the 10200 number genuinely
unavailable?.... and can I not get incoming calls without credit?

regards

Mick

Jono 08-21-2006 10:02 PM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Mick was thinking very hard :
> Mick wrote:
>
>> Folks
>>
>> I have bought myself a Linksys SPA1001 ATA and have attached it to the
>> router.
>>
>> I disabled DHCP and assigned a static IP address as I have for all my
>> network items.
>>
>> I have followed the instructions on the SIPGATE pages about various
>> settings etc - but I have two main problems.
>>
>> 1). I get no dial tone and cannot dial out - and
>>
>> 2). In trying to credit my SIPGATE account, I cannot work out how to
>> dial the 10200 to get the security code for the credit routine. I
>> assume this is from the phone - with no dial tone.
>>
>> Can someone please assist and offer some clues where it has all gone
>> wrong!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mick

> Um ... I seem to have solved the dial tone issue - I found a setting
> that allowed calls to be made without registering - so that gave a dial
> tone to allow me to dial 10200 for the security code - but all I get is
> the number unavailable tone ....... and if I dial an external number I
> get the same tone (not surprising if I haven't any credit to make a
> call with).
>
> Incoming calls to my SIPGATE number are met with "the number you are
> calling is not available" but a message can be left - so - I assume
> that's also becuase I have no credit?
>
> Have I still missed something - or is the 10200 number genuinely
> unavailable?.... and can I not get incoming calls without credit?
>
> regards
>
> Mick

You've not set something up correctly.

Sipgate will only work if your ATA registers; Your ATA provides you
with dialtone, not Sipgate; Free numbers would be dialable, regardless
of credits.

I would suggest you re-visit the instructions you followed.

Which line have you got configured as your default line? Line 1 or or
2. Have you set Sipgate up on both?

If you close your browser & then log back into your Sipgate account,
does the status show your device as online or offline? (I suspect the
latter)

Are you dialling the appropriate hash or star to select your Sipgate
line?

Have you set any Stun server up?

Mick 08-21-2006 10:18 PM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Jono wrote:

> Mick was thinking very hard :
> > Mick wrote:
> >
> > > Folks
> > >
> > > I have bought myself a Linksys SPA1001 ATA and have attached it
> > > to the router.
> > >
> > > I disabled DHCP and assigned a static IP address as I have for
> > > all my network items.
> > >
> > > I have followed the instructions on the SIPGATE pages about
> > > various settings etc - but I have two main problems.
> > >
> > > 1). I get no dial tone and cannot dial out - and 2). In trying
> > > to credit my SIPGATE account, I cannot work out how to dial the
> > > 10200 to get the security code for the credit routine. I assume
> > > this is from the phone - with no dial tone.
> > >
> > > Can someone please assist and offer some clues where it has all
> > > gone wrong!
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Mick

> > Um ... I seem to have solved the dial tone issue - I found a setting
> > that allowed calls to be made without registering - so that gave a
> > dial tone to allow me to dial 10200 for the security code - but all
> > I get is the number unavailable tone ....... and if I dial an
> > external number I get the same tone (not surprising if I haven't
> > any credit to make a call with).
> >
> > Incoming calls to my SIPGATE number are met with "the number you are
> > calling is not available" but a message can be left - so - I assume
> > that's also becuase I have no credit?
> > Have I still missed something - or is the 10200 number genuinely
> > unavailable?.... and can I not get incoming calls without credit?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Mick

> You've not set something up correctly.
>
> Sipgate will only work if your ATA registers; Your ATA provides you
> with dialtone, not Sipgate; Free numbers would be dialable,
> regardless of credits.
>
> I would suggest you re-visit the instructions you followed.
>
> Which line have you got configured as your default line? Line 1 or or
> 2. Have you set Sipgate up on both?
>
> If you close your browser & then log back into your Sipgate account,
> does the status show your device as online or offline? (I suspect the
> latter)
>
> Are you dialling the appropriate hash or star to select your Sipgate
> line?
>
> Have you set any Stun server up?

Hi Jono

Line 1 is my default with no select code. Registration is shown as
failed.

I cannot dial any outgoing number (even 0800) - though i do get a dial
tone - and (always) an unobtainable tone in response.

my 'device' is shown as off line.

Stun server is stun.sipgate.net:10000

On the router I have opened ports 5060 (Sipgate SIP) / RTP 5004 / Stun
10000

Mick

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 08-21-2006 10:43 PM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Thus spaketh Mick:
> Jono wrote:
>
>> Mick was thinking very hard :

>>> Um ... I seem to have solved the dial tone issue - I found a setting
>>> that allowed calls to be made without registering - so that gave a
>>> dial tone to allow me to dial 10200 for the security code - but all
>>> I get is the number unavailable tone ....... and if I dial an
>>> external number I get the same tone (not surprising if I haven't
>>> any credit to make a call with).
>>>
>>> Incoming calls to my SIPGATE number are met with "the number you are
>>> calling is not available" but a message can be left - so - I assume
>>> that's also becuase I have no credit?
>>> Have I still missed something - or is the 10200 number genuinely
>>> unavailable?.... and can I not get incoming calls without credit?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Mick

>> You've not set something up correctly.
>>
>> Sipgate will only work if your ATA registers; Your ATA provides you
>> with dialtone, not Sipgate; Free numbers would be dialable,
>> regardless of credits.
>>
>> I would suggest you re-visit the instructions you followed.
>>
>> Which line have you got configured as your default line? Line 1 or or
>> 2. Have you set Sipgate up on both?
>>
>> If you close your browser & then log back into your Sipgate account,
>> does the status show your device as online or offline? (I suspect the
>> latter)
>>
>> Are you dialling the appropriate hash or star to select your Sipgate
>> line?
>>
>> Have you set any Stun server up?

> Hi Jono
>
> Line 1 is my default with no select code. Registration is shown as
> failed.
>
> I cannot dial any outgoing number (even 0800) - though i do get a dial
> tone - and (always) an unobtainable tone in response.

As you have set the device to allow calls without registering, you will
get a dial-tone, as it's the ATA generating the dial-tone, as there is
some setting somewhere not quite right, then as the ATA is not
registering you can't call out over Sipgate hence the unobtainable tone.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Mick 08-21-2006 11:05 PM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

> Thus spaketh Mick:
> > Jono wrote:
> >
> > > Mick was thinking very hard :

> > > You've not set something up correctly.
> > >
> > > Sipgate will only work if your ATA registers; Your ATA provides
> > > you with dialtone, not Sipgate; Free numbers would be dialable,
> > > regardless of credits.
> > >
> > > I would suggest you re-visit the instructions you followed.
> > >
> > > Which line have you got configured as your default line? Line 1
> > > or or 2. Have you set Sipgate up on both?
> > >
> > > If you close your browser & then log back into your Sipgate
> > > account, does the status show your device as online or offline?
> > > (I suspect the latter)
> > >
> > > Are you dialling the appropriate hash or star to select your
> > > Sipgate line?
> > >
> > > Have you set any Stun server up?

> > Hi Jono
> >
> > Line 1 is my default with no select code. Registration is shown as
> > failed.
> >
> > I cannot dial any outgoing number (even 0800) - though i do get a
> > dial tone - and (always) an unobtainable tone in response.

> As you have set the device to allow calls without registering, you
> will get a dial-tone, as it's the ATA generating the dial-tone, as
> there is some setting somewhere not quite right, then as the ATA is
> not registering you can't call out over Sipgate hence the
> unobtainable tone.
>

> > my 'device' is shown as off line.
> >
> > Stun server is stun.sipgate.net:10000
> >
> > On the router I have opened ports 5060 (Sipgate SIP) / RTP 5004 /
> > Stun 10000
> >

> > Mick

Sorted!

ALL it was - was that I need to put a # at the end of the number i'm
dialling - simple as that.

I managed to get the security code and then lodge some credit - and I
can now dial out and get a connection.

Why oh why do the instruction fail to mention this! ...... unless of
course, it's a user defined setting that i have overlooked.

if you don't need to dial the # after the number you are caling, what
do you have in the dial plan - I show (*xx|xx.)

Regards

Mick

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 08-22-2006 12:37 AM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Thus spaketh Mick:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>
>> Thus spaketh Mick:

>>> Hi Jono
>>>
>>> Line 1 is my default with no select code. Registration is shown as
>>> failed.
>>>
>>> I cannot dial any outgoing number (even 0800) - though i do get a
>>> dial tone - and (always) an unobtainable tone in response.

>> As you have set the device to allow calls without registering, you
>> will get a dial-tone, as it's the ATA generating the dial-tone, as
>> there is some setting somewhere not quite right, then as the ATA is
>> not registering you can't call out over Sipgate hence the
>> unobtainable tone.
>>

>>> my 'device' is shown as off line.
>>>
>>> Stun server is stun.sipgate.net:10000
>>>
>>> On the router I have opened ports 5060 (Sipgate SIP) / RTP 5004 /
>>> Stun 10000
>>>

>>> Mick

> Sorted!
>
> ALL it was - was that I need to put a # at the end of the number i'm
> dialling - simple as that.
>
> I managed to get the security code and then lodge some credit - and I
> can now dial out and get a connection.
>
> Why oh why do the instruction fail to mention this! ...... unless of
> course, it's a user defined setting that i have overlooked.
>
> if you don't need to dial the # after the number you are caling, what
> do you have in the dial plan - I show (*xx|xx.)
>

> Regards
>
> Mick

I use a Linksys PAP2 with the same dial plan at the moment, I don't have
to press #, I can do to speed things up a little.

How have you got on with the regionalisation side of things?

Mick 08-22-2006 12:55 AM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

> Thus spaketh Mick:
> > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> >
> > > Thus spaketh Mick:

> > > As you have set the device to allow calls without registering, you
> > > will get a dial-tone, as it's the ATA generating the dial-tone, as
> > > there is some setting somewhere not quite right, then as the ATA
> > > is not registering you can't call out over Sipgate hence the
> > > unobtainable tone.

> > Sorted!
> >
> > ALL it was - was that I need to put a # at the end of the number
> > i'm dialling - simple as that.
> >
> > I managed to get the security code and then lodge some credit - and
> > I can now dial out and get a connection.
> >
> > Why oh why do the instruction fail to mention this! ...... unless of
> > course, it's a user defined setting that i have overlooked.
> >
> > if you don't need to dial the # after the number you are caling,
> > what do you have in the dial plan - I show (*xx|xx.)
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Mick

> I use a Linksys PAP2 with the same dial plan at the moment, I don't
> have to press #, I can do to speed things up a little.
>
> How have you got on with the regionalisation side of things?

Well, to be honest, I cheated.

I picked up all the settings from the SIPGATE website (reproduced here)
though I have no real idea how they differ functionally from the basic
default the kit arrived with.

United Kingdom Regional Settings:

Dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
Ring back: 400@-20,450@-20;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/2/1+2)
Busy tone: 400@-20;10(.375/.375/1)
Reorder tone: 400@-20;10(*/0/1)
SIT 1 tone:
950@-16,1400@-16,1800@-16;20(.330/0/1,.330/0/2,.330/0/3,0/1/0)
MWI dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(.75/.75/1+2)
CWT1 cadence: 30(.1/2)
CWT2 cadence: 30(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/5)
CWT frequency: 400@-10
Ring 1 cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
Ring 2 cadence (BT Call Sign): 60(1/2)
Ring 3 cadence (BT Ring Back): 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)
Ring 4 cadence: 60(.4/.8)
Ring 5 cadence: 60(2/4)
Time Zone: GMT
FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
Daylight Saving Rule: start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0

After reading your comment about not having to use the #, I tried a
couple of numbers without the # and lo and behold, it still rings.

I discovered the # thing from a www posting, and to be honest, it was
what enabled me to get the security code, so it may just be a 'pre
registration' thing?

Either way, it works now.

What I need to try and do is work out how to assign a unique ring to
hte Mother In law or work so I can choose to answer or ignore!

Mick

Ivor Jones 08-22-2006 01:10 AM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

"Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> Sorted!
>
> ALL it was - was that I need to put a # at the end of
> the number i'm dialling - simple as that.

Hmm. You shouldn't have to press # to finish dialling, it speeds things up
a bit but shouldn't be essential. I think maybe you have a setting out
somewhere.

> I managed to get the security code and then lodge some
> credit - and I can now dial out and get a connection.
>
> Why oh why do the instruction fail to mention this!
> ...... unless of course, it's a user defined setting that
> i have overlooked.

I think you have somewhere. The Sipura is a very complicated device for a
new user.

> if you don't need to dial the # after the number you are
> caling, what do you have in the dial plan - I show
> (*xx|xx.)

That's all you need for Sipgate unless you want to do specific things like
local dialling.

If you email me direct on g6urp01 at googlemail dot com with your SIP ID I
will call you and talk you through the settings for the Sipura.

Ivor

Mick 08-22-2006 10:08 AM

Re: sipgate new user hassles

Ivor Jones wrote:

> "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
> > Sorted!
> >
> > ALL it was - was that I need to put a # at the end of
> > the number i'm dialling - simple as that.

> Hmm. You shouldn't have to press # to finish dialling, it speeds
> things up a bit but shouldn't be essential. I think maybe you have a
> setting out somewhere.
>
> > I managed to get the security code and then lodge some
> > credit - and I can now dial out and get a connection.
> >
> > Why oh why do the instruction fail to mention this!
> > ...... unless of course, it's a user defined setting that
> > i have overlooked.

> I think you have somewhere. The Sipura is a very complicated device
> for a new user.
>
> > if you don't need to dial the # after the number you are
> > caling, what do you have in the dial plan - I show
> > (*xx|xx.)

> That's all you need for Sipgate unless you want to do specific things
> like local dialling.
>
> If you email me direct on g6urp01 at googlemail dot com with your SIP
> ID I will call you and talk you through the settings for the Sipura.
>
> Ivor

Hi Ivor

I have mailed you as suggested.

Regards