Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pause flash activity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365313-pause-flash-activity.html)

mailpitches@email.com 08-19-2006 07:01 AM

Pause flash activity

I've noticed a subtle yet cool feature in Safari and I'm wondering how
they did it. If you go to YouTube and open one of the videos in a new
tab (Command-click), the page will load in the new tab but the video
won't start loading or playing. Then if you click on the tab, the video
will start playing and loading. If you immediately click back to
another tab, the video will continue loading but will stop playing.

It seems pretty clear how Safari could stop the flash animation from
activity and video-playing activity when you switch back to the other
tab? Is it possible to emulate this by interacting with the flash
animation with javascript?

I only have limited experience with Flash, which is probably why I'm
puzzled by this. I'm a programmer though so don't spare the details.

Thanks
MP

John Thompson 08-19-2006 05:05 PM

Re: Pause flash activity

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.fan.mozilla.]
On 2006-08-19, mailpitches@email.com <mailpitches@email.com> wrote:

> I've noticed a subtle yet cool feature in Safari and I'm wondering how
> they did it. If you go to YouTube and open one of the videos in a new
> tab (Command-click), the page will load in the new tab but the video
> won't start loading or playing. Then if you click on the tab, the video
> will start playing and loading. If you immediately click back to
> another tab, the video will continue loading but will stop playing.
>
> It seems pretty clear how Safari could stop the flash animation from
> activity and video-playing activity when you switch back to the other
> tab? Is it possible to emulate this by interacting with the flash
> animation with javascript?

Yup. You can tweak Mozilla/Firefox/IE to do the same:

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/flash.html

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)