Velocity Reviews

-   -   Address book in T-bird and lists (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365273-address-book-in-t-bird-and-lists.html)

Gualtier Malde 08-19-2006 12:31 AM

Address book in T-bird and lists

I send out a monthly newsletter for a group. In order not to trip spam
filters, I divide the 100+ names into groups of 20, simply by creating a
number of lists and Copy>Paste-ing 20 names. When I go back, though,
some lists don't have all the names. If I try manually to move a name
over it seems to work (the little envelope with arrow goes to the list
folder) but it won't be there when I check.

There's another problem to discuss but I'll save that for another time
so as not to confuse the picture.

Thanks,
Chuck

--
Remove "-nubby-" to correspond.

gwtc 08-19-2006 12:36 AM

Re: Address book in T-bird and lists

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I send out a monthly newsletter for a group. In order not to trip spam
> filters, I divide the 100+ names into groups of 20, simply by creating a
> number of lists and Copy>Paste-ing 20 names. When I go back, though,
> some lists don't have all the names. If I try manually to move a name
> over it seems to work (the little envelope with arrow goes to the list
> folder) but it won't be there when I check.
>
> There's another problem to discuss but I'll save that for another time
> so as not to confuse the picture.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

I don't know what your problem is, but I have a few mailing lists I
send out, too. What I do is create a mailing list, put some names in
that and give the list a name. Now, when I send out to that list, I
just enter the name or nick name of that list on the first line, then
I hit send, and off it goes.

--
You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender . . .

A Hammer is Male , because it hasn't changed much over the last 5,000
years, but it's handy to have around.

Gualtier Malde 08-19-2006 03:00 AM

gwtc wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> I send out a monthly newsletter for a group. In order not to trip
>> spam filters, I divide the 100+ names into groups of 20, simply by
>> creating a number of lists and Copy>Paste-ing 20 names. When I go
>> back, though, some lists don't have all the names. If I try manually
>> to move a name over it seems to work (the little envelope with arrow
>> goes to the list folder) but it won't be there when I check.
>>
>> There's another problem to discuss but I'll save that for another time
>> so as not to confuse the picture.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chuck
>>

> I don't know what your problem is, but I have a few mailing lists I send
> out, too. What I do is create a mailing list, put some names in that
> and give the list a name. Now, when I send out to that list, I just
> enter the name or nick name of that list on the first line, then I hit
> send, and off it goes.

Yeah, that's what I do too. My problem is that the master list of
recipients gets updated from time to time. Rather than keeping track of
all the updates, I just delete all of the lists and re-create them each
month. It has seemed to work, but I am beginning to think I just didn't
notice the omissions.

And when I directly (manually) try to transfer an entry from the parent
file to a list, and it pretends to go, and doesn't... that's what I'm
having trouble figuring out.

--
Remove "-nubby-" to correspond.

gwtc 08-19-2006 04:43 AM

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>>> I send out a monthly newsletter for a group. In order not to trip
>>> spam filters, I divide the 100+ names into groups of 20, simply by
>>> creating a number of lists and Copy>Paste-ing 20 names. When I go
>>> back, though, some lists don't have all the names. If I try manually
>>> to move a name over it seems to work (the little envelope with arrow
>>> goes to the list folder) but it won't be there when I check.
>>>
>>> There's another problem to discuss but I'll save that for another
>>> time so as not to confuse the picture.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chuck
>>>

>> I don't know what your problem is, but I have a few mailing lists I
>> send out, too. What I do is create a mailing list, put some names in
>> that and give the list a name. Now, when I send out to that list, I
>> just enter the name or nick name of that list on the first line, then
>> I hit send, and off it goes.
>>

> Yeah, that's what I do too. My problem is that the master list of
> recipients gets updated from time to time. Rather than keeping track of
> all the updates, I just delete all of the lists and re-create them each
> month. It has seemed to work, but I am beginning to think I just didn't
> notice the omissions.
>
> And when I directly (manually) try to transfer an entry from the parent
> file to a list, and it pretends to go, and doesn't... that's what I'm
> having trouble figuring out.

what happens when you close the address book and reopen it? Do the
entries show up?

Gualtier Malde 08-19-2006 02:34 PM

gwtc wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> I don't know what your problem is, but I have a few mailing lists I
>>> send out, too. What I do is create a mailing list, put some names in
>>> that and give the list a name. Now, when I send out to that list, I
>>> just enter the name or nick name of that list on the first line, then
>>> I hit send, and off it goes.
>>>

>> Yeah, that's what I do too. My problem is that the master list of
>> recipients gets updated from time to time. Rather than keeping track
>> of all the updates, I just delete all of the lists and re-create them
>> each month. It has seemed to work, but I am beginning to think I just
>> didn't notice the omissions.
>>
>> And when I directly (manually) try to transfer an entry from the
>> parent file to a list, and it pretends to go, and doesn't... that's
>> what I'm having trouble figuring out.
>>

> what happens when you close the address book and reopen it? Do the
> entries show up?

No. It's been a day or so and the computer has been shut down and
restarted, and the situation is unchanged. It's really strange. I
select one of the missing address book entries, drag it to the list
folder, and drop it. Everything looks completely normal, but when I
open the list, it's not there.

--
Remove "-nubby-" to correspond.