Velocity Reviews

-   -   Subinterfaces on Cisco 1720 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t36524-subinterfaces-on-cisco-1720-a.html)

KJ 12-03-2004 06:07 PM

Subinterfaces on Cisco 1720

First question:
Is it possible to set up sub interfaces and vlans on a cisco 1720
router with just one fast ethernet port?

If not then that solves everything.

If so this is my problem.
I have a Cisco 1720 with the built in fast ethernet port along with a
T1 card that is not being used.

I want to set up fa0 with sub interfaces such as
fa0.1 = vlan1
fa0.10 = vlan10
fa0.20 = vlan20

however whenever I try to put in the ip address of the sub interface I
get this message
% Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that
subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE
802.1Q,
or ISL vLAN.

whenever I try to put in encapsulation it just errors out since there
are no options for encapsulation. I know I need to set encapsulation
to dot1q but its not an option.

I cannot create a vlan database either.

I am guessing that either its not possible with the 1700 or not
possible with just 1 nic or most likely I am just too dumb to do it.

Im going with option #3 at this point.

Oh ya my IOS version is 12.3(12) perhaps its wrong too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
KJ

Doug McIntyre 12-04-2004 12:17 AM

Re: Subinterfaces on Cisco 1720

kurtkearney@yahoo.com (KJ) writes:
>Is it possible to set up sub interfaces and vlans on a cisco 1720
>router with just one fast ethernet port?

Yes.

>whenever I try to put in encapsulation it just errors out since there
>are no options for encapsulation. I know I need to set encapsulation
>to dot1q but its not an option.

You need to run at least an IP+ image on your router to do VLAN trunking.

>I cannot create a vlan database either.

Thats for switches, not routers.

>Oh ya my IOS version is 12.3(12) perhaps its wrong too.

Version isn't as important as feature set. 12.3(12) would certainly be
recent enough, but IP + is also needed.