Velocity Reviews

-   -   amd64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365197-amd64.html)

Robin Becker 08-18-2006 05:02 PM

amd64

Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on AMD64's? One
of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a celeron
which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
another which is 32 pentium 4.

If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another architecture
it might not seem so attractive.
-not ready for 64bitly yrs-
Robin Becker

Paul McGuire 08-18-2006 06:40 PM

Re: amd64

"Robin Becker" <robin@reportlab.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on

AMD64's? One
> of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a

celeron
> which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
> another which is 32 pentium 4.
>
> If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another

architecture
> it might not seem so attractive.
> -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
> Robin Becker

Running just fine on my AMD64 processor on this machine...

I'm pretty sure AMD worked pretty hard for their AMD64's to run 32-bit
apps - by contrast with Intel's previous 64-bit offerings which would not.
But in this mode, you don't get 64-bits of "roominess", it looks just like a
32-bit CPU.

-- Paul

accurrent@gmail.com 08-18-2006 06:42 PM

Re: amd64

Robin Becker wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on AMD64's? One
> of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a celeron
> which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
> another which is 32 pentium 4.
>
> If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another architecture
> it might not seem so attractive.
> -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
> Robin Becker

Most 64 bit processors can run 32 bit apps natively, so the short
answer would be yes.

thattommyhallll@gmail.com 08-18-2006 08:19 PM

Re: amd64

if the install is 64 bit, you will hit trouble
i used the guide here http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356
on my 64 bit debian system to get 32bit apps available
if they have a particular distro install, usually the package
management tools for it can add most python modules you will need

hope that helps, add more details if you want more help

tom