Velocity Reviews

-   -   PIX 501 PAT question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t36511-pix-501-pat-question.html)

Lou 12-03-2004 01:42 AM

PIX 501 PAT question

I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
public dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
to the outside world?

Thanks, Lou

Paul Cocker 12-03-2004 02:32 AM

Re: PIX 501 PAT question

I would have thought it's getting this info from Internet Explorer.

Walter Roberson 12-03-2004 02:52 AM

Re: PIX 501 PAT question

In article <MvPrd.1985$zJ.746@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
Lou <cheyenne@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
:I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
:public dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
:I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
:both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
:incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
:to the outside world?

Doing some digging, the site appears to request that a cookie be set
to the your IP address. Your browser knows the IP address by its local
value, so it's the local value that gets put into the cookie. The cookie
then gets transmitted to the site and their end reads it off.
--
Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read

Lou 12-04-2004 04:45 AM

Re: PIX 501 PAT question

Thanks Paul & Walter for the helpful replies!

Lou