Velocity Reviews

-   -   Adhoc mode (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t365071-adhoc-mode.html)

Ramesh 08-18-2006 05:22 AM

Adhoc mode

Hi,

i understand that adhoc mode can be used for wireless adapters to talk to
each other without access point.

I need to network 3 systems with wireless adapters. Can I do this using
adhoc mode on each system or do I need to use an access point to do this?

Thanks
Ramesh

Eric Cross [MVP] 08-18-2006 10:47 AM

Re: Adhoc mode

Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

Diamontina Cocktail 08-21-2006 09:49 PM

Re: Adhoc mode

Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP involved?
While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it for ages on 2, I
am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than TWO machines. Eg, it
equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I don't profess to know
everything so the above is my belief but I sure am willing to be proven
wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as that would be VERY useful info
for me in the future.

Lem 08-21-2006 10:08 PM

Re: Adhoc mode

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
> Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP involved?
> While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it for ages on 2, I
> am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than TWO machines. Eg, it
> equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I don't profess to know
> everything so the above is my belief but I sure am willing to be proven
> wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as that would be VERY useful info
> for me in the future.
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" <ecross4@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.
>>

>> --
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "Ramesh" <ramesh2020@gmaildotcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i understand that adhoc mode can be used for wireless adapters to talk to
>>> each other without access point.
>>>
>>> I need to network 3 systems with wireless adapters. Can I do this using
>>> adhoc mode on each system or do I need to use an access point to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ramesh

I've never done it myself, but see the last two sentences of Barb
Bowman's 4/8/02 MS Expert Zone column on ad hoc networking, which
certainly implies that more than 2 computers can participate in an ad
hoc network:
<quote>
If you're sitting around a conference table with a group of colleagues
and find that everyone is in desperate need of a Power Point
presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of the room,
setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with
appropriate permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never
have to wait again to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN
to receive copies of urgently needed documents.
</quote>

Lem 08-21-2006 10:13 PM

Re: Adhoc mode

Lem wrote:
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>> Excuse me???? ad-hoc on THREE computers to make a network, no AP
>> involved? While I have never attempted that on 3 machines and did it
>> for ages on 2, I am positive that you cant have ad-hoc on more than
>> TWO machines. Eg, it equates to a cabled crossover arrangement. Now, I
>> don't profess to know everything so the above is my belief but I sure
>> am willing to be proven wrong if you wouldn't mind letting me know as
>> that would be VERY useful info for me in the future.
>>
>> "Eric Cross [MVP]" <ecross4@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, Ramesh you can use Ad-hoc mode.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Eric Cross
>>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>>

>>> "Ramesh" <ramesh2020@gmaildotcom> wrote in message

> I've never done it myself, but see the last two sentences of Barb
> Bowman's 4/8/02 MS Expert Zone column on ad hoc networking, which
> certainly implies that more than 2 computers can participate in an ad
> hoc network:
> <quote>
> If you're sitting around a conference table with a group of colleagues
> and find that everyone is in desperate need of a Power Point
> presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of the room,
> setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
> allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
> network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with
> appropriate permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never
> have to wait again to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN
> to receive copies of urgently needed documents.
> </quote>

Sorry, forgot the link
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

Eric Cross [MVP] 08-21-2006 10:32 PM

Re: Adhoc mode

An ad-hoc network can consist of up to 9 wireless clients.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../wifisoho.mspx

Diamontina Cocktail 08-31-2006 09:31 PM

Re: Adhoc mode

> An ad-hoc network can consist of up to 9 wireless clients.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../wifisoho.mspx

Have you ever set up an ad-hoc using more than 2 wi-fi "clients"? The
article you showed didn't say "how to" but to me it would seem easier to do
it by assigning IPs at each machine and obviously the same SSID on each
machine. If you have done that, how does it work? Eg, is it more reliable
than more than 2 clients using an AP or is it less reliable?