Velocity Reviews

-   -   Verizon Wireless cell phone -> Cisco Console Port? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t36446-verizon-wireless-cell-phone-cisco-console-port.html)

Jeff P 11-29-2004 03:42 PM

Verizon Wireless cell phone -> Cisco Console Port?

Hello,

While I was away over the weekend, I got online by connecting my Verizon
Wireless cell phone to the serial port on my laptop. I understand the cell
phone simulates a modem but the actual modem is at the wireless carrier's
facility. There's no extra charges for the data call except for using your
normal plan minutes.

While I was using this, it occurred to me that maybe I could plug a cell
phone into the console port on the router since they are both serial ports.
I have been thinking about doing an installation in a very remote location
that has no telephone lines at all. Could I just leave a cell phone up
there, and dial into it from a computer elsewhere to access the router as
though I were connected locally to the console port? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Adam Wołk-Jankowski 11-30-2004 10:29 PM

Re: Verizon Wireless cell phone -> Cisco Console Port?

> While I was using this, it occurred to me that maybe I could plug a cell
> phone into the console port on the router since they are both serial
> ports.
> I have been thinking about doing an installation in a very remote location
> that has no telephone lines at all. Could I just leave a cell phone up
> there, and dial into it from a computer elsewhere to access the router as
> though I were connected locally to the console port? Has anyone tried
> this?

I've tried it.
It works fine in one condition - modem in cell phone must understand AT
Hayes commands.
For example Nokia 62xx/63xx is perfect.

Few days ago I've even done a dialout backup with DDR when ethernet
connection is broken and router don't get gateway by RIP.
So I think that cell phones are good enought for dialin to the router and
automatic dialout on demand.
For remote acces it's perfect solution.
--
Adam Jankowski

Stevie 11-30-2004 11:15 PM

Re: Verizon Wireless cell phone -> Cisco Console Port?

I don't think many Verizon phones have data cables with serial connectors
anymore. I believe they all terminate in a USB connector. Which phone
were you using that had a serial connector?

Jeff P 12-01-2004 05:25 PM

"Stevie" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
news:Xns95B19AED8556642nospamplease42@216.168.3.50 ...
> I don't think many Verizon phones have data cables with serial connectors
> anymore. I believe they all terminate in a USB connector. Which phone
> were you using that had a serial connector?

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using an older AudioVox CDM-9000. I
refuse to upgrade to a newer "toy" phone for fear of losing reception in
areas of week coverage. The phone I have now has a large antenna and works
great in such areas. I know for a fact I have tried phones that were total
crap in such areas, but the cell phone company's reps all try to tell me
that all of their phones get a perfect reception regardless of make, model,
or location. I really think that a lot of these people have never been more
than 10 miles from a freeway in their lifetime.

-Jeff