Velocity Reviews

-   -   home networking Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t364013-home-networking-questions.html)

NW Technicals 08-13-2006 05:34 PM

home networking Questions

Hello Folks,
I recently moved into a new home where it is pre-wired with Cat5 and I get
internet connection thru it.
They have World Wide Packets router/switch( I do not know the difference) it
reads as Lightening Edge 38FSP

I have a computer connected to it and I use a Linksys 58G wireless router
which is plugged into wall to connect my Laptops.

So far I attempted in vain to connect them all in a home networking setup.

I created workgroup called Home1 and Named my Desktop and DK1 and Laptop as
LT1

I tried creating Home networking and copied the netsetup and tried to
replicate at the other machine(being laptop) . They both show as they are on
Workgroup but not showing the other computer . I enabled Printer and
filesharing on both boxes

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice in connecting these computers.

Reagrds
Lonestar in Northwest
Tim

Malke 08-13-2006 05:58 PM

Re: home networking Questions

NW Technicals wrote:

> Hello Folks,
> I recently moved into a new home where it is pre-wired with Cat5 and I get
> internet connection thru it.
> They have World Wide Packets router/switch( I do not know the difference)
> it reads as Lightening Edge 38FSP
>
> I have a computer connected to it and I use a Linksys 58G wireless router
> which is plugged into wall to connect my Laptops.
>
> So far I attempted in vain to connect them all in a home networking setup.
>
> I created workgroup called Home1 and Named my Desktop and DK1 and Laptop
> as LT1
>
> I tried creating Home networking and copied the netsetup and tried to
> replicate at the other machine(being laptop) . They both show as they are
> on Workgroup but not showing the other computer . I enabled Printer and
> filesharing on both boxes

You need to find out what the "World Wide Packets" hardware is and how to
configure it. I suspect it is a router and you've now added a wireless
router with your Linksys. You don't want two routers. If this is the case,
you need to configure the Linksys as an access point and not a router. The
Linksys has information on how to do this. However, it is always wise to
understand what networking hardware you have and how to configure it so
find out about the "World Wide Packets" device.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

NW Technicals 08-13-2006 09:21 PM

Re: home networking Questions

thanks for a quick reply

Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.

I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

Thanks
Jim

Malke 08-13-2006 10:54 PM

NW Technicals wrote:

> thanks for a quick reply
>
> Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.
>
> I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

I don't see that model listed on the support page. I see WRT54G and various
versions. Go to www.linksys.com and click on Support. You can look up your
exact model (the version number is on the bottom) or contact Linksys
directly.

Malke

NW Technicals 08-13-2006 11:29 PM

Re: home networking Questions

Thanks and here is the product info

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.

Lem 08-14-2006 12:14 AM

NW Technicals wrote:
> Thanks and here is the product info
>
> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
>
> I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.
>

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>NW Technicals wrote:
>>

>>>thanks for a quick reply
>>>
>>>Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.
>>>
>>>I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

>>I don't see that model listed on the support page. I see WRT54G and
>>various
>>versions. Go to www.linksys.com and click on Support. You can look up your
>>exact model (the version number is on the bottom) or contact Linksys
>>directly.
>>
>>Malke
>>--
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>Elephant Boy Computers
>>www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>"Don't Panic"

When people say to turn a wireless router into an access point, what
they usually mean is to turn off the DHCP server and to NOT use the WAN
port. All necessary directions to turn off ("disable") the DHCP server
are in the User's Guide for your router (see description of "Basic
Setup"). Also see http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Malke 08-14-2006 12:44 AM

NW Technicals wrote:

> Thanks and here is the product info

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

> I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.

Since I don't work for Linksys tech support and I'm not familiar with that
particular product, you really will need to call them and speak to someone.
Alternatively, contact tech support for the Lightening Edge 38FSP and ask
*them*. Still yet another alternative would be to contact whoever installed
that equipment in your house and have them set things up for you.

Malke