Velocity Reviews

-   -   Looking into VoIP System (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t363593-looking-into-voip-system.html)

zylinius1983@gmail.com 08-10-2006 08:40 PM

Looking into VoIP System

Hello,

Currently all the phones in my network are Cisco 7940. We get our
phone service through our ISP who outsources it to a company about 5
hours from here. My company asked me to look into purchasing the
entire back end of the system so that we can administer everything
ourselves. I realize that this means purchasing alot of equipment.
Can someone give me a place to start looking, or a suggestion as to
what to buy? We have about 50 users, about a quarter of which are
remote. I need to be able to hook everyone into our phone system. I
have VPN connections setup for our remote users now.

Thanks for all you help.

Joe

Skorkles 08-10-2006 09:54 PM

Re: Looking into VoIP System

Take a look at Shoretel. I think you be quite pleased.
As far as administration goes, I'm a Windows/Exchange admin and I don't like
phone systems at all. But this thing is a breeze and I love it.

Check it out.

news:1155242410.012175.284550@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...

stephen 08-11-2006 05:11 PM

Re: Looking into VoIP System

<zylinius1983@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1155242410.012175.284550@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Currently all the phones in my network are Cisco 7940. We get our
> phone service through our ISP who outsources it to a company about 5
> hours from here. My company asked me to look into purchasing the
> entire back end of the system so that we can administer everything
> ourselves. I realize that this means purchasing alot of equipment.

Cisco supports 2 central IP PBX implementations - on a set of servers, or on
a cisco router. Severs are usually for big deployments, and router platform
for smaller ones

you might need further servers for voicemail and other more complex
services, but this is pretty much standard IP telephony.

50 phones is well within the Call Manager Express capability on a router,
but you would need to check whether the functions you already use are all
supported.

> Can someone give me a place to start looking, or a suggestion as to
> what to buy? We have about 50 users, about a quarter of which are
> remote. I need to be able to hook everyone into our phone system. I
> have VPN connections setup for our remote users now.

if you havent done it before find a reseller since they can help set it up
and train you on it.

--
Regards

stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

murray 08-16-2006 12:46 AM

Re: Looking into VoIP System

I like the suggestions for Shoretell (it just works...) and Cisco (you
just gotta work it) but if you want to do a free proof of concept get
Asterisk. it's quick and easy and supports Cisco phones and voicemail,
IVR, etc. oh, and did I mention it supports Cisco phones?

my guess is that once management sees what it takes to manage the back
end they'll go back to off site management (as long as it's cheap
enough). and if the asterisk solution works you're done.

good luck

Joe 08-30-2006 02:58 PM

Re: Looking into VoIP System

I've decided to go with either Cisco, or Shoretel. Both systems seem
to have alot of features. Can anyone give me a site that does a Good
comparison of the two? So far all the ones i've read have a note at
the end that someone forgot to set something up, which means that the
systems aren't really a good comparison at all.

Thanks

hillieren 08-30-2006 03:10 PM

All of your clients is cisco, it's better to let server use cisco too maybe. Tones of documents and lots of work...