Velocity Reviews

-   -   Catalyst 3550 & BGP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t363172-catalyst-3550-and-bgp.html)

neonerz@gmail.com 08-09-2006 04:34 AM

Catalyst 3550 & BGP

After searching through this newsgroup for a while, I realize this
subject has been beat to death, but I have a little more specific
question....

My company is building out our network inside the NY/NJ metro area. We
are going to be offering Ethernet over Copper, among other services.
Since we will be collocated in one of the main hotels in NYC we can get
IP pretty cheap.

We were planning on putting in a Catalyst 3550 to do all the switching
and VLANing for our clients (at least for now). We will have an uplink
connected to our upstream carrier at 100mbps (again to start out with),
and will be delivering the clients 10mbps chunks.

As I said before, we can get the IP pretty cheap inside our Colo, so we
are planing to expand to about 2 or 3 upstream providers within the
next couple months.

We want to be able to get our own IP Blocks from ARIN (which we have
already requested), and broadcast that out to our upstream providers so
we can assign our clients those IP's. Also, we want to be able to
accept and pass along BGP broadcasts from our clients.

Is this too much for the Catalyst 3550 (running SMI but I don't think
that makes a difference)? Should we put in a router between our 3550
and the upstream provider?

We are probably going to put in a bandwidth shaper (netequalizer.com)
in between the 3550 and our upstream provider to limit bandwidth on the
VLANs, but if we need to put a router in, we can put that between the
3550 and the router if necessary.

www.BradReese.Com 08-09-2006 01:18 PM

Re: Catalyst 3550 & BGP

You may wish to run this by Cisco's 3550 Expert.

Mr. Roberto Salazar, CCIE

Email: bosalaza *at* cisco.com

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
http://www.bradreese.com/hot-jobs.htm

NO_spamm 08-18-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Catalyst 3550 & BGP

If you are going to connect to multiple ISPs, it means you have your own
AS? Or will you use a private AS number that all ISPs accept and overwrite.
Will you do the same towards your customers? As you want to be transit?

This means that you will run BGP with n neighbors to your n ISPs.
You will have x neighbor to you x customers. So, you will have n + x BGP
peerings. I guess you will not get the whole Internet routing table,
otherwise you will have a memory problem. You may not want to be
transit for your ISPs. So, you will need to do some "route-mapping"

So, it depends what you want.

You can do simple policing regarding the bandwidth. If you need to provide
different classes of Services, I guess, you may want to step away from the
3550 and add a dedicated router for the BGP, QoS and have the switch do
the switching.

FW