Velocity Reviews

-   -   can EIGRP replaced with IBGP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t36221-can-eigrp-replaced-with-ibgp.html)

Pravin Pednekar 11-15-2004 02:57 PM

can EIGRP replaced with IBGP

Hi,
We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

Regards
Pravin Pednekar

Arnold Nipper 11-15-2004 03:58 PM

Re: can EIGRP replaced with IBGP

On 15.11.2004 15:57 Pravin Pednekar wrote

> Hi,
> We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
> facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
> any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
> option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

BGP is not an IGP. If your EIGRP does not longer scale, have a look at
OSPF or IS-IS.

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper, AN45

Ivan Ostreš 11-15-2004 04:29 PM

Re: can EIGRP replaced with IBGP

In article <c8394645.0411150657.5b0e0305@posting.google.com >,
pravinpednekar@yahoo.com says...
> Hi,
> We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
> facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
> any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
> option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

Don't get me wrong but I think that there's a lack of knowledge since
we're running an EIGRP network with 150+ routers with strict route
controls and load sharing.

About IBGP: IBGP can be used as IGP, even eBGP can be used as IGP if you
know how to do what you need. The thing to consider is that you will
definitely loose possibility for unequal load balancing that only EIGRP
(and IGRP) supports.

I'm sure it is possible to solve all your problems using EIGRP, you just
have to add some additional knowledge in it. The main problem with this
protocol (belive me, I saw that more than once) is that is pretty simple
to configure FOR SMALL NETWORKS. When networks become bigger,
configuration is not that simple but you can achieve a lot of things by
route filtering and other hierarchy mechanisms.

--
-Ivan.

Vincent C Jones 11-16-2004 03:16 AM

Re: can EIGRP replaced with IBGP

In article <cnajn0$hv$1@nntp.ilk.net>,
Arnold Nipper <arnold-200411@nipper.de> wrote:
>On 15.11.2004 15:57 Pravin Pednekar wrote
>> Hi,
>> We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
>> facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
>> any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
>> option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

>BGP is not an IGP. If your EIGRP does not longer scale, have a look at
>OSPF or IS-IS.
>
>Arnold

Short answer: No, replacing EIGRP with IBGP is not a good option.

Elaborating further, unless you have a pathological network topology,
EIGRP should have no problems handling only 60 routers. If you have
routing issues, it is highly probable that something is seriously
wrong with your network. OSPF and IS-IS are far less tolerant
of design errors, so expecting a change to either to result in
performance improvements is likely to be a disappointment.

http://www.networkingunlimited.com