Velocity Reviews

-   -   membership list security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t362051-membership-list-security.html)

Dave Kelly 08-02-2006 05:21 PM

membership list security

I am administrator for a small website. We operate under the IRS title
for non-profit educational groups. We want the site to be open to
everyone to read to learn. http://www.texasflyfishers.org

As it now stands, anyone can read all the website. Only registered
members can post to the website. Anyone can download from the website.

We have a dues paying membership list that we would like to make
available to ONLY the names on the membership list.

This membership list comes to me once a month from the secretary in MS
access format. I load it into Open Office and save it out as PDF and
CVS. I use the cvs and a script to cut out the first name, last name and
email address for a demon emailer send list.

My problem is I don't know what to use for keywords to search the google
usenet groups. I tried the 3 words, html, security, password, and got
1,300,000 hits. Much to many to read thru. I added membership to that
list and the hits dropped to 342,000. Still too big.

I've read some of the code on freshmeat. Not sure if it will work or can
be modified or not.

Does anyone know if what I have tried to describe, exists? Or something
close?

Or is this one of those posts where I am too close to the problem and
not thinking clearly or left out some key ingredients?

TIA
Dave

Dave Kelly 08-02-2006 10:34 PM

Re: membership list security

Dave Kelly wrote:
> I am administrator for a small website. We operate under the IRS title
> for non-profit educational groups. We want the site to be open to
> everyone to read to learn. http://www.texasflyfishers.org
>
> As it now stands, anyone can read all the website. Only registered
> members can post to the website. Anyone can download from the website.
>
> We have a dues paying membership list that we would like to make
> available to ONLY the names on the membership list.
>
> This membership list comes to me once a month from the secretary in MS
> access format. I load it into Open Office and save it out as PDF and
> CVS. I use the cvs and a script to cut out the first name, last name and
> email address for a demon emailer send list.
>
> My problem is I don't know what to use for keywords to search the google
> usenet groups. I tried the 3 words, html, security, password, and got
> 1,300,000 hits. Much to many to read thru. I added membership to that
> list and the hits dropped to 342,000. Still too big.
>
> I've read some of the code on freshmeat. Not sure if it will work or can
> be modified or not.
>
> Does anyone know if what I have tried to describe, exists? Or something
> close?
>
> Or is this one of those posts where I am too close to the problem and
> not thinking clearly or left out some key ingredients?
>
> TIA
> Dave

Never mind.
I found a group of words to put in the search box that produce some results.

Thanks for being quite so I would have to do my own work.

html access security code password -XP -microsoft -ms

sent me to http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/index.html
which has a lot of what I need to learn.

Dave

Jim Higson 08-03-2006 07:53 PM

Dave Kelly wrote:

> Never mind.
> I found a group of words to put in the search box that produce some
> results.
>
> Thanks for being quite so I would have to do my own work.
>
> html access security code password -XP -microsoft -ms
>
> sent me to http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/index.html
> which has a lot of what I need to learn.

Be warned, that page is probably very out of date. NCSA HTTPd is the
precursor to Apache, and development stopped about eight years ago!

If you're looking to make a site with user privaleges, some CMS's do that
very well. Drupal, especially, in my experience.

--
Jim

Dave Kelly 08-04-2006 01:25 AM

Jim Higson wrote:

>> sent me to http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/index.html
>> which has a lot of what I need to learn.

> Be warned, that page is probably very out of date. NCSA HTTPd is the
> precursor to Apache, and development stopped about eight years ago!

Thanks for the heads up.

> If you're looking to make a site with user privaleges, some CMS's do that
> very well. Drupal, especially, in my experience.

I'm not up on everything. CMS is what? Drupal is what?

Thanks.
Dave

Ed Mullen 08-04-2006 01:30 AM

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Jim Higson wrote:
>>
>>> sent me to http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/index.html
>>> which has a lot of what I need to learn.

>> Be warned, that page is probably very out of date. NCSA HTTPd is the
>> precursor to Apache, and development stopped about eight years ago!

> Thanks for the heads up.
>

>> If you're looking to make a site with user privaleges, some CMS's do that
>> very well. Drupal, especially, in my experience.

> I'm not up on everything. CMS is what? Drupal is what?
>
> Thanks.
> Dave

CMS = Content Management System

Drupal ... http://www.google.com/search?query=drupal&num=50

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neredbojias 08-04-2006 07:06 AM

Re: membership list security

To further the education of mankind, Dave Kelly <daveekelly@earthlink.net>
vouchsafed:

> I am administrator for a small website. We operate under the IRS title
> for non-profit educational groups. We want the site to be open to
> everyone to read to learn. http://www.texasflyfishers.org
>
> As it now stands, anyone can read all the website. Only registered
> members can post to the website. Anyone can download from the website.
>
> We have a dues paying membership list that we would like to make
> available to ONLY the names on the membership list.

-Under an IRS license for n/p educational groups? Wonder if there's a
reward?

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.