Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird: Summary File for Inbox (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t360595-thunderbird-summary-file-for-inbox.html)

Ralph 07-26-2006 01:39 PM

Thunderbird: Summary File for Inbox

Hello,

The last few days every time I launch Thunderbird, there is a delay of
about 60 to 90 seconds before my e-mail messages start downloading. On
the bottom left of the pane, there is a message "Building Summary File
for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks
Ralph

gwtc 07-26-2006 04:17 PM

Re: Thunderbird: Summary File for Inbox

Ralph wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The last few days every time I launch Thunderbird, there is a delay of
> about 60 to 90 seconds before my e-mail messages start downloading. On
> the bottom left of the pane, there is a message "Building Summary File
> for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Ralph

close TB, then using your file manager, locate the mail section of the
TB profile. Inside it, you will find a bunch of files that end in
*.msf. Once found, delete them. Does this work now?

To find your TB profile, you can read this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Guess Who came before Who.

Ralph 07-26-2006 09:24 PM

Re: Thunderbird: Summary File for Inbox

Thanks for your support. Yes, the problem has gone away. Just curious,
what are those .msf files about anyway?

Ralph

gwtc 07-26-2006 09:42 PM

Ralph wrote:
> Thanks for your support. Yes, the problem has gone away. Just curious,
> what are those .msf files about anyway?
>
> Ralph
>
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ralph wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The last few days every time I launch Thunderbird, there is a delay of
>>> about 60 to 90 seconds before my e-mail messages start downloading. On
>>> the bottom left of the pane, there is a message "Building Summary File
>>> for Inbox." Is there a way to fix this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ralph

>> close TB, then using your file manager, locate the mail section of the
>> TB profile. Inside it, you will find a bunch of files that end in
>> *.msf. Once found, delete them. Does this work now?
>>
>> To find your TB profile, you can read this:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate
>>
>> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

the *.msf files are indexing files. They keep track of which files are
labelled, which ones are flagged, which way things are sorted and
threaded, and a few other things. They can become corrupted very
quickly. Whenever anything goes wrong with the mail section, the vast
majority of times it can be traced back to the *.msf files.

But the thing that gets me is some people have them corrupted all the
time, while others, like me, never have those problems.