Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   VOIP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f35-voip.html)
-   -   Are FXO SIP gateways localized? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t360122-are-fxo-sip-gateways-localized.html)

Vincent Delporte 07-24-2006 12:35 PM

Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
Hello

FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since
they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized
for use in such and such country.

Does someone know this can be done in software, ie. I can just upload
a new firmware to match the country where I need to use this gateway,
or does it also require some hardware changes?

Has anybody ordered one from eBay, and used it successfully outside
the US? http://search.ebay.com/fxo-sip

Thank you.

Jonathan Roberts 07-24-2006 10:46 PM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 

"Vincent Delporte" <justask@acme.com> wrote in message
news:rdf9c2t14k48334eujua5ugm6q39b8p11e@4ax.com...
> Hello
>
> FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since
> they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized
> for use in such and such country.
>
> Does someone know this can be done in software, ie. I can just upload
> a new firmware to match the country where I need to use this gateway,
> or does it also require some hardware changes?
>
> Has anybody ordered one from eBay, and used it successfully outside
> the US? http://search.ebay.com/fxo-sip
>
> Thank you.


I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.



Vincent Delporte 07-25-2006 12:24 AM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:46:13 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
<gremln007@nospamplease.gmail.com> wrote:
>I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.


Thanks for the tip.

Has someone successfully ordered the 3102 in the US and used it in
Europe?

Jonathan Roberts 07-25-2006 01:39 AM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 

"Vincent Delporte" <justask@acme.com> wrote in message
news:63pac25hnqd9o276r6su59sh281ev4rm2t@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:46:13 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
> <gremln007@nospamplease.gmail.com> wrote:
> >I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.

>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Has someone successfully ordered the 3102 in the US and used it in
> Europe?


Vincent,

You might check with these folks
(http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/te.../default.aspx).
They appear to be a Sipura reseller in the UK. They list themselves as
Cisco & MS certified, so hopefully they are knowledgeable.

Jonathan




Vincent Delporte 07-25-2006 08:46 AM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:39:26 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
<gremln007@nospamplease.gmail.com> wrote:
>You might check with these folks
>(http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/te.../default.aspx).
>They appear to be a Sipura reseller in the UK. They list themselves as
>Cisco & MS certified, so hopefully they are knowledgeable.


Great, thank you.

William P.N. Smith 07-25-2006 11:59 AM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
Vincent Delporte <justask@acme.com> wrote:
>FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since
>they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized
>for use in such and such country.


I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional or
cause voice quality problems.

The other side of this, of course, is certification for each country,
which is purely a legal matter, and can be very expensive and
time-consuming to get.

If you are a corporate buyer or reseller, you better make sure you are
doing all the proper paperwork. If you are an individual, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Vincent Delporte 07-25-2006 01:46 PM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:59:29 -0400, William P.N. Smith
<news2006c@compusmiths.com> wrote:
>I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
>characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional or
>cause voice quality problems.


From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be
customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly
handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog
modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different
countries.

That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is
available for different countries in Europe.

Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :-)

Jono 07-25-2006 07:32 PM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
Vincent Delporte wrote:
|| On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:59:29 -0400, William P.N. Smith
|| <news2006c@compusmiths.com> wrote:
||| I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
||| characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional
||| or cause voice quality problems.
||
|| From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be
|| customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly
|| handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog
|| modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different
|| countries.
||
|| That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is
|| available for different countries in Europe.
||
|| Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :-)

Yep.

All regionalization is done by accessing the device's admin pages via a
browser (Linksys/Sipura).

Have a look at www.provu.com - a UK based supplier of (Linksys/Sipura) VoIP
kit.

Also, lots of discussion in the voxilla forum
http://voxilla.com/forum-viewforum-f-14.html




Vincent Delporte 07-25-2006 08:56 PM

Re: Are FXO SIP gateways localized?
 
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:32:08 GMT, "Jono" <none@none.za.uk> wrote:
>All regionalization is done by accessing the device's admin pages via a
>browser (Linksys/Sipura).


Cool. I was wondering if it was just software, or they also had to be
reworked at the hardware level. Thanks!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.