Velocity Reviews

-   -   3550 and Multi VLANs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35848-3550-and-multi-vlans.html)

Bob Simon 10-18-2004 02:47 PM

3550 and Multi VLANs

I upgraded a 2924 to a 3550 and am having trouble configuring my
VLANs. I have two VLANs and port 24 should be a member of both
because it's the Internet feed. On the old 2924, I did this with the
following statements:
switchport multi vlan 1,2
switchport mode multi

How do I accomplish this with the 3550?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

PJML 10-18-2004 03:14 PM

Re: 3550 and Multi VLANs

Bob Simon wrote:

> I upgraded a 2924 to a 3550 and am having trouble configuring my
> VLANs. I have two VLANs and port 24 should be a member of both
> because it's the Internet feed. On the old 2924, I did this with the
> following statements:
> switchport multi vlan 1,2
> switchport mode multi
>
> How do I accomplish this with the 3550?

I think you'll find that "switchport multi" isn't
supported on the more-modern hardware such as the
3550-series.

Does whatever is connected to port 24 have
support for 802.1Q? If so (like it's a reasonably
modern Cisco router), you should configure multiple
subinterfaces on the thing connected to port-24,
and then set port-24 to be a trunk port.

Bob Simon 10-18-2004 03:26 PM

Re: 3550 and Multi VLANs

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:14:34 +0100, PJML <pjml@nerc.ac.uk.loopback>
wrote:

>Bob Simon wrote:
>
>> I upgraded a 2924 to a 3550 and am having trouble configuring my
>> VLANs. I have two VLANs and port 24 should be a member of both
>> because it's the Internet feed. On the old 2924, I did this with the
>> following statements:
>> switchport multi vlan 1,2
>> switchport mode multi
>>
>> How do I accomplish this with the 3550?

>I think you'll find that "switchport multi" isn't
>supported on the more-modern hardware such as the
>3550-series.
>
>Does whatever is connected to port 24 have
>support for 802.1Q? If so (like it's a reasonably
>modern Cisco router), you should configure multiple
>subinterfaces on the thing connected to port-24,
>and then set port-24 to be a trunk port.

It's a 3640 running 12.2 so I don't doubt that it supports dot 1 q.

Thanks for the tip. I think I can handle this now with your
direction.

Erik Tamminga 10-22-2004 10:24 PM

Re: 3550 and Multi VLANs

switchport multi isn't supported anymore.
Either use a dot1q trunk to transport the vlans to the internet router
(which needs IOS Plus feature pack to do this) or create a VLAN3 on the
switch, solely for the purpose of connecting the switch to the internet
router:
- Assign interface VLAN1 the address of the internet router's vlan1,
- Assign interface VLAN2 the address of the internet router's vlan2 and
- Assign vlan3 on the switch a new ip address (a new range /30 will do) and
assign ethernet port on router with the other address from vlan 3.
- Setup routing on the switch and add a default gateway on the switch to the
internet router.
- Add two routes to the router, one for each vlan off the switch (excl
vlan3) using the switch's address of vlan3 as next hop.
- Happy surfing.....

Erik