Velocity Reviews

-   -   New Python website, new documentation ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t356026-new-python-website-new-documentation.html)

1024nospam@freesurf.fr 03-29-2006 03:54 PM

New Python website, new documentation ?

Hi,

I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
would there also be changes in the doc itself ?

Martin.

Tim Parkin 03-30-2006 01:25 PM

Re: New Python website, new documentation ?

1024nospam@freesurf.fr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
>a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
>revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
>would there also be changes in the doc itself ?
>
>Martin.

docs.python.org will stay the same as far as I am aware but I'll be
looking at trying out a version of the docs using the new python.org
layout. Obviously this will affect more regular users of the site and so
will need testing out first. The structure of the documentation won't
change but it will have a new navigation (rather than just the back, up,
forward on the current latex2html output). It's probably best to get
something up on a test site to look at before over-analysing it though..

Tim Parkin

Armin Ronacher 03-30-2006 01:42 PM

Re: New Python website, new documentation ?

I paste my idea (original posted in #pythonpaste a few days ago):

<mitsuhiko> Chairos: what I really miss is a "go-python.org" page :)
<Chairos> which would be what?
<mitsuhiko> showing up python gui application, python wsgi
applications, a python documentation with a comment section, tutorials
and a wiki
<mitsuhiko> and everything compact
<mitsuhiko> and python.org for the companies and core developers

Something really basic. Only small tutorials, a documentation with
comments and a list of python applications. With a clean design and
only few links per page. Something like the rubyonrails page for
example.

Regards,
Armin

John J. Lee 03-30-2006 08:21 PM

Tim Parkin <tim@pollenation.net> writes:

> 1024nospam@freesurf.fr wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
> >a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
> >revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
> >would there also be changes in the doc itself ?
> >
> >Martin.
> >

> docs.python.org will stay the same as far as I am aware but I'll be
> looking at trying out a version of the docs using the new python.org
> layout. Obviously this will affect more regular users of the site and so
> will need testing out first. The structure of the documentation won't
> change but it will have a new navigation (rather than just the back, up,
> forward on the current latex2html output). It's probably best to get
> something up on a test site to look at before over-analysing it though..

How about the desktop icon used on Windows boxes? Will we see the shy
tadpoles replacing the squiggly green pixellated Python snake in 2.5?
If not, why not? -- is this not a branding excercise? (I don't
personally like the tadpoles, FWLIW, but inconsistency seems worse)

John

Tim Parkin 03-31-2006 08:17 AM

John J. Lee wrote:

> How about the desktop icon used on Windows boxes? Will we see the shy
> tadpoles replacing the squiggly green pixellated Python snake in 2.5?
> If not, why not? -- is this not a branding excercise? (I don't
> personally like the tadpoles, FWLIW, but inconsistency seems worse)
>
> John

I presume so. It's not really up to me though. Someone has created some
new icons based on the new logo that have received some positive
feedback and that I like a lot.

Tim Parkin