Velocity Reviews

-   -   3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35586-3750-g-24ts-vs-3750-g-12s.html)

Alireza Dabagh [MS] 09-28-2004 10:29 PM

3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S

Somebody in our company ordered 3750 G12S and now I realize that in order to
connect them to CAT 5/6 gig adapters, I have to pop something close to 250$
to buy an SFP module for -each- port that I intend to use. Do I have similar
problem if I get a 3750 24TS? i.e. are 24TS switches as they come in the box
have the write connectors or you need to buy something extra (port modules
or whatever they are called) in order to be able to use them?

-thanks, ali

Andrey Tarasov 09-28-2004 11:51 PM

Re: 3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S

Hello, Alireza!
You wrote on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:29:02 -0700:

ADM> Somebody in our company ordered 3750 G12S and now I realize that
ADM> in order to connect them to CAT 5/6 gig adapters, I have to pop
ADM> something close to 250$ to buy an SFP module for -each- port
ADM> that I intend to use. Do I have similar problem if I get a 3750
ADM> 24TS? i.e. are 24TS switches as they come in the box have the
ADM> write connectors or you need to buy something extra (port
ADM> modules or whatever they are called) in order to be able to use
ADM> them?

Well, the answer is simple. Here is the page for 3750 series. BTW, did I tell
you that cisco.com is very valuable resource for such things as equipment specs?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...dels_home.html

As you can see 3750G-24TS-E and 3750G-24TS-S has 24 10/100/1000 ports of what
sometimes reffered as GigE over copper and 4 SFP. BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question - where is the
difference?

With best regards,
Andrey.

Alireza Dabagh [MS] 09-29-2004 12:07 AM

Re: 3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S

Thanks Andrey, believe it or not, I have read all these specs. Problem is
when I brought this to the attention of the person who ordered the switches,
he mentioned that even for 24TS, there is an after-purchase cost similar to
the cost of SFP modules for 12S. He says that you need to buy extra
"modules" that you insert in the switches in order to get the RJ 45
1000BaseT ports you need. I was not sure about this statement and that's why
I need verification from somebody who has the switch.

>BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
> 3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question - where is the
> difference?

I was not sure if you are asking a question or trying to make a point! If
you are asking about the difference between E and S, S uses standard
software and E uses enhanced software with layer 3 routing, etc. If you are
asking about the difference between 3750-24TS and 3750G-24TS, then one is
10/100, the other 10/100/1000.

-thanks, ali

Andrey Tarasov 09-29-2004 12:26 AM

Re: 3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S

Hello, Alireza!
You wrote on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:07:43 -0700:

ADM> Problem is when I brought this to the attention of the person
ADM> who ordered the switches, he mentioned that even for 24TS, there
ADM> is an after-purchase cost similar to the cost of SFP modules for
ADM> 12S. He says that you need to buy extra "modules" that you
ADM> insert in the switches in order to get the RJ 45 1000BaseT ports
ADM> you need. I was not sure about this statement and that's why I
ADM> need verification from somebody who has the switch.

I have 3750G-24TS-S in service and it doesn't need any "modules" for 24
10/100/1000 ports. You probably still can use 1000T SFP for additional 4 SFP
ports but that's another story.

??>> BTW, 3750-24TS-E and
??>> 3750-24TS-S has 24 ports 10/100 only (plus 2 SFP). Question -
??>> where is the difference?

ADM> I was not sure if you are asking a question or trying to make a
ADM> point! If you are asking about the difference between E and S, S
ADM> uses standard software and E uses enhanced software with layer 3
ADM> routing, etc. If you are asking about the difference between
ADM> 3750-24TS and 3750G-24TS, then one is 10/100, the other
ADM> 10/100/1000.

It was mostly contemplation on Cisco's naming strategy - having two pretty
different boxes with one additional letter in the middle is not what I'd call
good naming standard.

With best regards,
Andrey.

Alireza Dabagh [MS] 09-29-2004 12:44 AM

Re: 3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S

Thanks Andrey. I really appreciate your response. It was invaluable to me
clearing things up. Now we have to find a way to get rid of 12S switches and
order a couple of 24TS.

-Best regards, ali