Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch won't connect to Netware Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35582-cisco-catalyst-2950-switch-wont-connect-to-netware-server.html)

1NetAdminGuy 09-28-2004 07:03 PM

Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch won't connect to Netware Server

I am not too saavy in the programming of switches and routers so we
recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
corporate and all of our intranet stuff. All of those things are
located at our coporate office. Here at our site we have building 1
and building 2. Building 1 is where i have installed the new switch
and building 2 is the location of our router and our local netware 3.2
file server. So when i use the Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
up the name of our server to connect to. However from any other
building on site where we have all of our existing switches, this is
not a problem. Connectivity is fine. We have fiber between each of the
buildings as well. So being that when i connect my laptop up on the
new switch in building 1, and i can get internet access and to the
intranet, that tells me that it is reaching building 2 just fine as it
is making it to the router and then up to our corporate office. so my
question is, why is it not making a connection to our file server? i
realize that switches don't really block access to things like this
and they don't really care what kind of traffic is crossing. as far as
it's concerned it's just packets in and out. so what am i missing to
allow this switch to connect to our file server. It is strictly IPX as
there is no IP and it just resides on our LAN. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Mosher

Walter Roberson 09-28-2004 08:33 PM

Re: Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch won't connect to Netware Server

In article <a707c114.0409281103.5b5833ee@posting.google.com >,
1NetAdminGuy <brian_mosher@hotmail.com> wrote:
:recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
:gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
:corporate and all of our intranet stuff.

:Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
:up the name of our server to connect to.

Do the NICs in the computers just -happen- to be Xircom RealPort2
CardBus? If so,
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473...#cat_2950_3550
and search for IPX
--
"Mathematics? I speak it like a native." -- Spike Milligan

Martin Bilgrav 09-29-2004 11:27 AM

"1NetAdminGuy" <brian_mosher@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:a707c114.0409281103.5b5833ee@posting.google.c om...
> I am not too saavy in the programming of switches and routers so we
> recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
> gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
> corporate and all of our intranet stuff. All of those things are
> located at our coporate office. Here at our site we have building 1
> and building 2. Building 1 is where i have installed the new switch
> and building 2 is the location of our router and our local netware 3.2
> file server. So when i use the Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
> up the name of our server to connect to.

enable spanning tree portfast on the user access ports of the C2950.

fx:
conf t
#interface range fas 0/1 - 24
(int-range)# spanning-tree portfast
exit
exit
wr me

HTH
Martin Bilgrav

vipergg 10-01-2004 02:17 PM

brian_mosher@hotmail.com (1NetAdminGuy) wrote in message news:<a707c114.0409281103.5b5833ee@posting.google. com>...
> I am not too saavy in the programming of switches and routers so we
> recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
> gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
> corporate and all of our intranet stuff. All of those things are
> located at our coporate office. Here at our site we have building 1
> and building 2. Building 1 is where i have installed the new switch
> and building 2 is the location of our router and our local netware 3.2
> file server. So when i use the Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
> up the name of our server to connect to. However from any other
> building on site where we have all of our existing switches, this is
> not a problem. Connectivity is fine. We have fiber between each of the
> buildings as well. So being that when i connect my laptop up on the
> new switch in building 1, and i can get internet access and to the
> intranet, that tells me that it is reaching building 2 just fine as it
> is making it to the router and then up to our corporate office. so my
> question is, why is it not making a connection to our file server? i
> realize that switches don't really block access to things like this
> and they don't really care what kind of traffic is crossing. as far as
> it's concerned it's just packets in and out. so what am i missing to
> allow this switch to connect to our file server. It is strictly IPX as
> there is no IP and it just resides on our LAN. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Mosher

On each user interface issue the "switchport host" command , this
will probably take care of your issue . Sounds like it is running
thru the complete spanning tree cycle so it times out waiting for this
, this will stop that from happening .