Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multiple VLAN on 1 Cisco Switch (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35538-multiple-vlan-on-1-cisco-switch.html)

Jeff Mac Pherson 09-24-2004 06:53 PM

Multiple VLAN on 1 Cisco Switch

I'm able to create multiple VLAN on 1 cisco 4506 switch. ie

vlan1 - default - 192.168.1.0
vlan2 - vlan2 - 192.168.2.0
vlan3 - vlan3 - 192.168.3.0

I can't seem to access the other subnets, I have a field manual right
now and it doesn't explain much. Besides configuring vlans, I guess I
need to enable trunk or routing ?

RC 09-24-2004 10:02 PM

Re: Multiple VLAN on 1 Cisco Switch

You need to route between VLANs.

news:d9df793.0409241053.31ea860d@posting.google.co m...

Ben 09-25-2004 12:29 PM

Re: Multiple VLAN on 1 Cisco Switch

A VLAN is way of segmenting a layer 2 broadcast domain. Once you've
segmented it how are they going to communicate except via layer 3?
A bit mystified as to why you are creating vlan's without an understanding
of what they are...