Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best solution for Bandwidth control (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35384-best-solution-for-bandwidth-control.html)

Cedric Tardif 09-14-2004 04:50 PM

Best solution for Bandwidth control

Hi all,

I have multiple type of customer with multiple different bandwidth control
to implement.

I have tried a cisco 7200 router with rate-limit ( work fine but take a lot
of cpu)

I have tried a cisco 3550 with mls qos aggregate-policer with class-map,
create big configuration but work verry nice, main problem is that i have a
limit of 8 class-map i can enable per interface.

Is there a way on a 2950 to limit the bandwitch per port basis ?

My need :
Ability to control the bandwidth per a global basis
Ability to control the bandwidth per a user basis
Ability to control the bandwidth per a user basis inside a global basis.

I'm not looking for a easy setup, i'm looking for a complete setup, in our
network i can deploy 2950,3550 or 7200 without problem and if needed i can
purchase other equipement to fit my need.

I would prefer to be able to control the bandwidth per port or per vlan or
vlan/ip combo.

If anyone have comment or suggestion that would be greetly appreciated.

Cedric

Ben 09-21-2004 11:16 AM

Re: Best solution for Bandwidth control

You are in luck as the 2950 has per-port policing capabilities. Look up the
2950 data sheet for precise capabilities. From memory it can only do it
inbound (or was it outbound?). It's not as fully featured in terms of QoS as
the 7200 but it's pretty good. The 3550 has slightly more capability again.

By the way, I would move to MQC instead of rate-limit commands which are a
legacy feature. Nested policy-maps will enable you to limit bandwidth per
interface as well as to some finer distinction.

As far as per-user goes, it really depends on what kind of user you are
talking about.

news:kjF1d.45080$Qa2.1197518@weber.videotron.net.. .

Cedric Tardif 09-24-2004 02:07 PM

Re: Best solution for Bandwidth control

Hi,

Thank for your response.

The main problem i have with the 3550 is the limitation of 8 rule per port
inbound.

I will have the same problem with the 2950 as it can only limit inbound
connexion.

With inbound connexion i would need 2 2950 to be able to limit user
inbound/outbound by limiting the inbound on each 2950, what would mean a
2950 with 48 port 100BaseT and 1 Gig port per 48 users.

As for what kind of user i'm talking about let me try to get you a
example :

POP1 is my main office with my internet connection.

POP2 is a remote office.

I receive all the traffic from POP2 on a trunk, each user with is own VLAN.

When those user get into my POP1 i give them access to internet.

I have to limit all those user with a global inbound/outbound bandwidth
limit and to limit each user with is own inbound/outbound bandwidth.

Regards