Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35318-cisco-aironet-and-switch-vlan-problem.html)

BlackSheep 09-09-2004 09:42 PM

Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Hi,

I am having some strange problems with a Cisco Aironet 1200. I have set up 2
VLANs
(as config following). This is then connected by wire to a tagged (trunked
etc.)
port on a 3Com 4400 switch. The problem is that I cannot connect to the
Access Point when
connected to the tagged/trunked port. I can connect to the AP with an
untagged port ok
(on 10.10.10.5 as in config) but obviously I will not get VLAN functionality
then.

The 3com switch has one port (tagged) as a member of both VLAN 1 and 2, in
which the AP
would be plugged into.

Im scratching my head on this, I have tried setting up the AP with GUI, CLI
a few times
after a complete reset. Still cannot work out, will look at again tommorow
but any help
or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

-------------------------------

Cisco config:

!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname Aironet1
!
enable secret 5 $1$RkOp$fmNdiNpBz1VUFeOxAzpyY1
!
username admin privilege 15 password 7
1413110752577E
ip subnet-zero
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
ssid MyWLAN_SSID_Lan1
vlan 2
!
ssid MyWLAN_SSID_Lan2
vlan 1
!
speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 basic-11.0
rts threshold 2312
station-role root
!
interface Dot11Radio0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
no ip route-cache
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface Dot11Radio0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
no ip route-cache
!
interface FastEthernet0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
no ip route-cache
bridge-group 1
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface FastEthernet0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
no ip route-cache
!
interface BVI1
ip address 10.10.10.5 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ip http server
ip http help-path
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779...eag/ivory/1100
ip radius source-interface BVI1
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
login local
line vty 5 15
login
!
end

------

Andrey Tarasov 09-10-2004 03:20 AM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Hello, BlackSheep!
You wrote on Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:42:02 +0100:

B> interface FastEthernet0.1
B> encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

With best regards,
Andrey.

mh 09-10-2004 06:40 AM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

interface Dot11Radio0.2
bridge-group 2
exit
interface FastEthernet0.2
bridge-group 2
exit

BlackSheep 09-11-2004 11:30 AM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

This adds VLAN 2 on Radio and Ethernet to bridge group 2. Is this bridge
group anything to do with the Bridge Virtual Interface?

Surely I should still be able to connect to the BVI as its in the Native
VLAN 1 anyway?

Have not tryed it yet as its weekend.

BlackWoollySheep 09-11-2004 11:32 AM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Noticed there is another blacksheep!! I have modded my name to help not mix
me with him.

BlackWoollySheep 09-11-2004 06:11 PM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

What are you saying :-) This bit looks ok to me!

White Sheep 09-11-2004 09:52 PM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Hi BlackSheep,

Your Native VLAN (1) on the Aironet will be sending untagged traffic, while
you non native VLAN (2) will be tagged. You need to configure VLAN 1 on the
3COM to be the Native "ie untagged' VLAN. Here is the a config for a Cisco
connected to an Aironet running Voice in VLAN 305 and data in VLAN 306:

interface FastEthernet0/18
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 306
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,305,306,1002-1005
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
end

Sorry but I don't know the equivilant in the 3Com world.

BlackWoollySheep 09-12-2004 10:52 AM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

On the 3com its a matter of telnetting in and changing the config. There is
no multi line boot up config like the Cisco.

I will try this on monday and let you know, thanks!

White Sheep 09-13-2004 12:01 PM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Any luck?

BlackWoollySheep 09-13-2004 04:58 PM

Re: Cisco Aironet and switch VLAN problem

Tryed it today and success!!!

Now according to my thinking, if a packet is tagged for a VLAN then it
should
go to the correct one as the Cisco has both VLANs 802.1q tagged and so did
the 3com that "you would of thought" (or at least me!) that would of been
ok!

So I dropped the VLAN1 native port out of the tagged state and VLAN2 is
still tagged.

Anyway it works great now. As it was holding my AP side (3 of them) of the
XP rollout
behind and its not easy to explain the managment here about these things,
especially my line manager.

Thanks loads as I have not got any other support elsewhere