Velocity Reviews

-   -   BGP maintainter table (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35235-bgp-maintainter-table.html)

Mystral Mass? 09-03-2004 04:56 PM

BGP maintainter table

Here is a quesetion for all the BGP Gurus out there.
What is the purpose of having our AS in the RADB database. We have a
yearly recuring cost to maitain our AS in their database.
Do most of you that are BGP multihomed have a maintainter address in
the database? And is that a recommended practice?

Thanks to all.

Barry Margolin 09-04-2004 01:26 AM

Re: BGP maintainter table

In article <fe8fe8aa.0409030856.2ce83fe@posting.google.com> ,
ty.masse@uthct.edu (Mystral Mass?) wrote:

> Here is a quesetion for all the BGP Gurus out there.
> What is the purpose of having our AS in the RADB database. We have a
> yearly recuring cost to maitain our AS in their database.
> Do most of you that are BGP multihomed have a maintainter address in
> the database? And is that a recommended practice?

When I was at Genuity, it was more common for customers to let one of
their providers act as the maintainer for their route objects.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Ivan Ostres 09-04-2004 01:08 PM

Re: BGP maintainter table

In article <barmar-B357AB.21262603092004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
barmar@alum.mit.edu says...
> In article <fe8fe8aa.0409030856.2ce83fe@posting.google.com> ,
> ty.masse@uthct.edu (Mystral Mass?) wrote:
>
> > Here is a quesetion for all the BGP Gurus out there.
> > What is the purpose of having our AS in the RADB database. We have a
> > yearly recuring cost to maitain our AS in their database.
> > Do most of you that are BGP multihomed have a maintainter address in
> > the database? And is that a recommended practice?

> When I was at Genuity, it was more common for customers to let one of
> their providers act as the maintainer for their route objects.

Barry, since ISPs where I live don't do that, what do you actually get
using such maintainer service?

--
-Ivan.

Barry Margolin 09-04-2004 03:20 PM

Re: BGP maintainter table

In article <MPG.1ba3dc45ab68bc75989702@news.individual.net> ,
Ivan Ostres <vina.bfgerf@mt.ugarg.ue> wrote:

> In article <barmar-B357AB.21262603092004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> barmar@alum.mit.edu says...
> > In article <fe8fe8aa.0409030856.2ce83fe@posting.google.com> ,
> > ty.masse@uthct.edu (Mystral Mass?) wrote:
> >
> > > Here is a quesetion for all the BGP Gurus out there.
> > > What is the purpose of having our AS in the RADB database. We have a
> > > yearly recuring cost to maitain our AS in their database.
> > > Do most of you that are BGP multihomed have a maintainter address in
> > > the database? And is that a recommended practice?

> > When I was at Genuity, it was more common for customers to let one of
> > their providers act as the maintainer for their route objects.
> >

> Barry, since ISPs where I live don't do that, what do you actually get
> using such maintainer service?

Some ISPs use the RADB to configure their routing filters; if you don't
register a route object, you may not be able to reach those ISPs if your
connection to the ISP whose address block yours comes from goes down.