Velocity Reviews

-   -   Strange error cfg 29xx FE port as trunk ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t35212-strange-error-cfg-29xx-fe-port-as-trunk.html)

Garry 09-02-2004 12:13 PM

Strange error cfg 29xx FE port as trunk ...

I'm playing around with some vlans and tried to configure the port going
to the router as trunk, in order to allow VLAN routing on the router ...
had done that on other 35/29 Catalysts before ... anyway, while the
router connection as such is fine running in default, as soon as I
configure the port to go into trunk mode, I get the "is experiencing
errors", port light is blinking green/amber, and I can't reach anything
on the ethernet anymore ... I tried using the ISL encap, and have also
configured the router with a subinterface running on a vlan (configured
that one in the switch vlan database, too)

Any idead what could be wrong?

Tnx, -gg

Robert B. Phillips II 09-08-2004 08:37 PM

Re: Strange error cfg 29xx FE port as trunk ...

Garry <gkg@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<ch73rr$b68$1@news.regio.net>...
> I'm playing around with some vlans and tried to configure the port going
> to the router as trunk, in order to allow VLAN routing on the router ...
> had done that on other 35/29 Catalysts before ... anyway, while the
> router connection as such is fine running in default, as soon as I
> configure the port to go into trunk mode, I get the "is experiencing
> errors", port light is blinking green/amber, and I can't reach anything
> on the ethernet anymore ... I tried using the ISL encap, and have also
> configured the router with a subinterface running on a vlan (configured
> that one in the switch vlan database, too)
>
> Any idead what could be wrong?
>
> Tnx, -gg

Can you communciate with the router over that port without the
trunking convfigured and without the subinterfaces on the router
ethernet port? This would determine if there is a hardware issue. Also
do a 'show post' from the switch CLI in enable mode, if you see any
'POST Failures' there is a hardware problem - call Cisco TAC.

Also, do you have matching speed and duplex configured on both sides
of the connection (i.e. are the both 100/Full or Auto/Auto)? A speed
of duplex mismatch will sometimes cause collisions and errors on the
interface, although I have never seen it cause as severe connectivity
issues as your are experiencing.

Let me know if this helps.

-Robert