Velocity Reviews

-   -   Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t352110-eclipse-best-good-or-bad-ide-for-python.html)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil 12-02-2005 12:45 AM

Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
IDE for Python.

Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?

Chris

Jorge Godoy 12-02-2005 01:40 AM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
> and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
> IDE for Python.
>
> Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?

IMVVVHO, Eclipse is like a "graphical" Emacs. It uses a lot more memory,
demands an structure that makes you put your projects under its structure
instead of using any layout that you wish. Integrating it with Subversion,
CVS or other VCS is as hard as with Emacs -- if not harder for some VCS...

But, it is just me and I use Emacs for something like 7 years now... ;-)

--
Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org>

elbertlev@hotmail.com 12-02-2005 04:11 AM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

Eclipse is very-very slow. 3G P4 looks like 8M 86. It might be good for
Java, but not for Python. BUT THIS IS 1 OF 2 IDE'S WHICH ALLOWS
DEBUGGING OF MULTITHREADED APPLICATIONS. I prefer Eric or PythonWin.

James 12-02-2005 04:37 AM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

There is no answer for that question. All Python IDEs have their own
strengths and weaknesses and different programmers expect different
things from their IDEs. What's best for YOU depends on what features
you need. PyDev, without question a "good" IDE. BEST is a subjective
affair.

I use Eclipse (or SPE) when I am unfamiliar with an API and auto list
members helps in those cases. Otherwise SciTe (or Vim/Kate/Emacs in
your case) suits me well.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Doyon?= 12-02-2005 02:05 PM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

I'm a big fan of Eclipse and reocmmend it to anyone who asks :)

No one can say any one is the *best*, since it's a matter of taste,
but it's pretty darn good.

The main benefit IMO is it's felibility ... Eclipse is a *framework*,
that can handle lots things quite well, like HTML (If you're coding
python for the web), C/C++ (If you're building extensions), XML if
you're using that, and so on ... All from within one application, all
with common paradigms.

The handling of RCS' is also common ...

I use Eclipse + PyDev + Subclipse everyday!

Of course I never could get into Emacs ... It's incredibly powerful too
though ... Why move away from it? Is it missing something you need?

+1 on eclipse from me!

J.F.

Fabio Zadrozny 12-02-2005 02:54 PM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

Hi Chris,

I think that you should try it yourself... being the *best ide* is
usually a subjective matter, so, you should decide yourself if it is the
best IDE for the task you want it to.

I must also warn you that I'm its current maintainer, and it is *my*
favorite IDE :-)

Also, I use it for large projects (2569 .py files on my python
installation and about 1800 .py files in my project), and, altough I
agree with the general idea that you need a fast computer to use it at
optimal performance, I found that using an athlon 1600+ with 512mb RAM
was enough for me when using eclipse with pydev (also, the features
provided by eclipse are more than worth the loss of speed when editing
some things when compared to editors such as vi or emacs, altough the
learning curve for that might not be so light, in the long run, I'm
pretty sure that it is worth it -- altough I really miss a faster
machine for compiling c++).

But in the end, as I said, it is a subjective matter, so, you'll have to
decide it for yourself.

Cheers,

Fabio

Aaron Bingham 12-02-2005 04:34 PM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

>I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
>and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
>IDE for Python.
>
>Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?

I've been a heavy Emacs user for several years, but recently switched to
Eclipse for Python development. I was skeptical at first, but I gave it
a chance for a few days and was convinced.

The killer PyDev feature for me is pylint integration. Being informed
immediately when you mistype a variable name is a big timesaver. Also
nice is the refactoring support (although this it is possible to
integrate BicycleRepairMan! with Emacs, I found it easier to use in
Eclipse). I still find the Eclipse editor awkward for some things that
are easy in Emacs (Emacs is in my fingers), so I occasionally switch
back to Emacs for a quick edit.

Eclipse performance is not a problem for me, but I have a beefy box.

Enjoy,

Aaron Bingham

gene tani 12-02-2005 05:31 PM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
> and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
> IDE for Python.
>
> Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?
>
> Chris

I'm agnostic; lots of IDE's/editors have buzz, you should learn to use
at least a couple well:

- vim, emacs
- Wing, Komodo, Textmate (OS X only)
- jedit, eclipse,
- eric, PythonWin, kate, leo, etc.

Check the wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DevelopmentTools

then google c.l.py for how your most desired features are supported:
syntax coloring, SVN integrate, auto-complete (if you think it helps),
pylint, threaded debugger, smart tags, object/class/code
folding/browser etc. This guy spent a lot of time composing this:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ea5915f8f09546

BartlebyScrivener 12-03-2005 06:15 PM

Re: Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

>>if it is the *best* IDE for Python. <<

Nobody can answer this for you. Just try them all. The two I like that
I don't see mentioned in this thread are PythonCard (which is free) and
WingWare (which costs $30.00 but you can try for free.)

bs