Velocity Reviews

-   -   install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t351599-install-python2-4-on-freebsd-and-keep-using-python2-3-a.html)

Ksenia Marasanova 11-17-2005 11:22 AM

install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

Hi,

I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
instead of upgrading.
Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
/lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

--
Ksenia

Paul Watson 11-17-2005 03:40 PM

Re: install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

Ksenia Marasanova wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
> current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
> instead of upgrading.
> Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
> /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
> as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?

Yes, you can have several versions installed in different directories.

Many people make /usr/local/bin/python or /usr/bin/python a link to the
default version they choose for the machine.

Mike Meyer 11-17-2005 06:53 PM

Ksenia Marasanova <ksenia.marasanova@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
> current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
> instead of upgrading.
> Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
> /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
> as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
> Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
> FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

You can't install from ports and keep multiple versions around. Well,
at least not easily. You'll have to install from the Python
sources. If you haven't changed LOCALBASE, then installing from
sources will overwrite the things installed in /usr/local/bin, the
python manual page, and the emacs python-mode file (at least, that's
what's installed by the Python port that isn't in a version-specific
file). As others have said, you can work around that with the --prefix
argument to configure when you build python.

<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/