Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Python Debug Build (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t349850-re-python-debug-build.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?= 10-04-2005 09:20 AM

Re: Python Debug Build

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> "Celine & Dave" wrote:
>

>>What happens if I build Python with debug option
>>(--with-pydebug)? Do I see any changes in my program
>>output? What is --with-pydebug good for?

> from the README:
>
> --with-pydebug: Enable additional debugging code to help track down
> memory management problems. This allows printing a list of all
> live objects when the interpreter terminates.

And that's why it's very useful for when developing Python extension
modules. Not only does it help find reference count problems,
--with-pydebug on, Python sometimes also complains earlier if you do
"stupid" things in the C code. Or gives a helpful error message before
crashing ;-)

-- Gerhard