Velocity Reviews

-   -   Django - Rails killer comes... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t347152-django-rails-killer-comes.html)

JZ 07-16-2005 01:26 AM

Django - Rails killer comes...

http://www.djangoproject.com/

--
JZ

Joseph Chase 07-16-2005 07:17 PM

Re: Django - Rails killer comes...

I can't wait to try this out. We'll see how it stacks up next to ROR.

news:15cuhhg8i6mrg$.ekh1brvux44n$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

Johannes Findeisen 07-16-2005 10:42 PM

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 03:26 +0200, JZ wrote:
> http://www.djangoproject.com/

Hey, that is crazy ****!

I really like the concept and will give it a try ASAP! I have searched
for something like this some month ago but ended my search at ROR. I am
not a python hacker but i know how to use it and i hope i will become
better when trying this software.

Thanks for your _open_ release! I love it!

Regards,
--
Johannes Findeisen
http://hanez.org/

flab ba 07-18-2005 07:52 AM

Re: Django - Rails killer comes...

"Rails Killer" is a rather high and mighty claim, and as such, it
isn't unreasonable to ask for substantial evidence to back it up.

Quoting directly from the web site, in the section "Meet Django"

" ...Django is well-suited for developing content-management system ..."

To me, this seems like it places itself in competition with Zope, not
Rails.

If I'm wrong, could somebody explain why this is a "Rails Killer?"

Thanks,
Flab

JZ 07-18-2005 11:24 AM

Dnia Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:52:44 -0700, flab ba napisał(a):

> To me, this seems like it places itself in competition with Zope, not
> Rails.

No. Zope is an application server, much more powerfull and complicated,
with its own object database and total object approach to all elements of
the system. Django is similiar to Rails or Subway rather than to Zope.

> If I'm wrong, could somebody explain why this is a "Rails Killer?"

Maybe Django is not strictly Rails killer (because if someone prefers Ruby
to Python, he choose Ruby - and vice-versa) But Django is good alternative
to Rails for those who prefer Python. Both use similiar approach, both was
created in the same time, both use ORM, MVC etc.

--
JZ