Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question about basic use of a timer object from timeit module to execute code every so often in a class (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t347130-question-about-basic-use-of-a-timer-object-from-timeit-module-to-execute-code-every-so-often-in-a-class.html)

42zeros@gmail.com 07-15-2005 11:27 AM

Question about basic use of a timer object from timeit module to execute code every so often in a class

I would like a function to be executed every x often.
I was just wondering how to pass the following code correctly. my
object t just doesn't know what checkMail is. How can I tell it that
checkMail is a member of the class MyApp?

thanks in advance,
code is below

class MyApp(wx.App):
def OnInit(self):

frame = wxMainFrame(None, "thing")
icon = wx.Icon('foo.bmp', wx.BITMAP_TYPE_ICO)
frame.SetIcon(icon)
self.SetTopWindow(frame)

t = timeit.Timer("checkMail()","30.0")

t.timeit()
return True

def checkMail():

print "The number of messages is"

Robert Kern 07-15-2005 11:39 AM

Re: Question about basic use of a timer object from timeit moduleto execute code every so often in a class

42zeros@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like a function to be executed every x often.
> I was just wondering how to pass the following code correctly. my
> object t just doesn't know what checkMail is. How can I tell it that
> checkMail is a member of the class MyApp?

Reread the documentation for timeit. It doesn't do what you think it does.

Look at wxTimer instead.

--
Robert Kern
rkern@ucsd.edu

-- Richard Harter

42zeros@gmail.com 07-15-2005 12:36 PM

Re: Question about basic use of a timer object from timeit module to execute code every so often in a class

I've seen both documentation for using timeit as simply a timer to
measure preformance, but also a random page here and there that looked
to me as if they were using it as a simple timer. HOwever, if there is
a wxwidget timer I'll gladly hit that up. Thanks for the info