Velocity Reviews

-   -   To vlan tag or not to tag? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t34372-to-vlan-tag-or-not-to-tag.html)

budyerr 07-07-2004 05:49 PM

To vlan tag or not to tag?

We currently are in a decentralized environment where each Division
has there own switch in the IDF to support the specific departments on
the floor. However I am proposing to move toward a centralized
implementations using VLAN tagging to enable the specific VLANs that
are needed on each floor. This enables me to activate whatever vlan I
need in that IDF without the need to implement new networking switch,
hence cost savings.

Questions I have is if anyone knows the drawbacks of implementing VLAN
tagging? It may be harder to troubleshoot, etc.. but I am curious to
find out from the groups opinion. In the past, cisco products had an
issue with VLAN bleeding, but I don't know if that has totally been
resolved. Again, your opinion and thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Hansang Bae 07-08-2004 03:45 AM

Re: To vlan tag or not to tag?

In article <6d0b5a90.0407070949.c4011ac@posting.google.com> ,
budyerr@yahoo.com says...
> We currently are in a decentralized environment where each Division
> has there own switch in the IDF to support the specific departments on
> the floor. However I am proposing to move toward a centralized
> implementations using VLAN tagging to enable the specific VLANs that
> are needed on each floor. This enables me to activate whatever vlan I
> need in that IDF without the need to implement new networking switch,
> hence cost savings.
>
> Questions I have is if anyone knows the drawbacks of implementing VLAN
> tagging? It may be harder to troubleshoot, etc.. but I am curious to
> find out from the groups opinion. In the past, cisco products had an
> issue with VLAN bleeding, but I don't know if that has totally been
> resolved. Again, your opinion and thoughts are welcomed.

No real security concerns these days. About two years ago, we had vlan
hopping when the 8540 CSR (more like POS) melted down.

The draw back to trunking is that you may over subscribe the one link by
carrying multiple VLANs. But you can always etherchannel it as required
or use a GigE uplink.

--

hsb