Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t343004-why-is-a-jit-compiler-faster-than-a-byte-compiler.html)

RickMuller 03-24-2005 03:44 PM

Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler

I was talking to a friend of mine about the speed of Python code. One
of the questions that came up was why is a JIT compiler like Psyco
faster than the Python byte-compiler? I understand why languages like
Pyrex are faster, since they set static types that the compiler can use
to optimize. But why is Psyco faster? I would think that any
optimizations that Psyco makes could just as easily be made by the
byte-compiler, but obviously this is not the case, since Psyco runs
something like 4x faster, and I also understand that similar speedups
are seen by Java JIT compilers. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Rick

dodoo 03-24-2005 04:47 PM

Re: Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler

http://www-900.ibm.com/developerwork...ndex_eng.shtml

RickMuller 03-24-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler

Thanks for the link. That completely answers my question.

Torsten Bronger 03-26-2005 10:22 AM

Re: Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler

Hallöchen!

"dodoo" <dodoowang@gmail.com> writes:

> http://www-900.ibm.com/developerwork...ndex_eng.shtml

I can't reach it. Is there an alternative URL?

Tschö,
Torsten.

Alexey Shamrin 03-26-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...,lnxw03=PsycoC
http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming...python_b9.html

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:22:03 +0100, Torsten Bronger
<bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hallchen!
>
> "dodoo" <dodoowang@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > http://www-900.ibm.com/developerwork...ndex_eng.shtml

> I can't reach it. Is there an alternative URL?
>
> Tsch,
> Torsten.
>
> --
> Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus

Best regards,
Alexey.