Velocity Reviews

-   -   Profiling python 2.3 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t340848-profiling-python-2-3-a.html)

Kenneth Johansson 01-27-2005 10:14 PM

Profiling python 2.3

I wonder what would be a good way to profile a python program where the
main thread starts two worker threads that do all the work.

I get no infomation at all from the threads.

I tried to use profile.run as the first thing in the new thread and the
thread starts and works fine but when it exits I get this error

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/profile.py", line 71, in run
prof = prof.run(statement)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/profile.py", line 403, in run
return self.runctx(cmd, dict, dict)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/profile.py", line 409, in runctx
exec cmd in globals, locals
TypeError: exec: arg 1 must be a string, file, or code object

The main problem I have is that when I add a small function to a program
the resulting code takes longer than it should. The program takes
about 80% normally and end up taking more than 100%. I did a small test
of the new funtions and when I run that alone it only takes 20%-25% so
the result sould not take more than 50% and now I need to know where the
time is spent.

Stephen Kellett 01-28-2005 10:02 AM

Re: Profiling python 2.3

In message <ctbora$84d$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se>, Kenneth
Johansson <ken@switchboard.ericsson.se> writes
>I wonder what would be a good way to profile a python program where the
>main thread starts two worker threads that do all the work.
>
>I get no infomation at all from the threads.

Python Performance Validator (beta)

http://www.softwareverify.com/python...tor/index.html

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

Kenneth Johansson 01-28-2005 02:09 PM

Re: Profiling python 2.3

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:02:33 +0000, Stephen Kellett wrote:

> In message <ctbora$84d$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se>, Kenneth
> Johansson <ken@switchboard.ericsson.se> writes
>>I wonder what would be a good way to profile a python program where the
>>main thread starts two worker threads that do all the work.
>>
>>I get no infomation at all from the threads.

> Python Performance Validator (beta)
>
> http://www.softwareverify.com/python...tor/index.html
>
> Stephen

I develop on linux.

Nice to see I do not have to recompile and relink to use the tool that's a
real problem with other python stuff ;)