Velocity Reviews

-   -   Developing Commercial Applications in Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t339896-developing-commercial-applications-in-python.html)

eeykay@gmail.com 01-03-2005 11:00 AM

Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Hello All,
I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?
Thanks for any help.
eeykay

Craig Ringer 01-03-2005 11:09 AM

Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 19:00, eeykay@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
> any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?

My understanding is that you're dead safe with Python its self, as AFAIK
you can even bundle (possibly modified) the Python sourcecode into your
application. You'd simply need to keep an eye on the licenses of any
extensions you used, like ReportLab, PIL, mx, database interfaces,
twisted, etc. Many are licensed under the same license as Python or an
MIT-like license, but of course some Python extensions are not and you
would need to consider that.

--
Craig Ringer

It's me 01-03-2005 04:41 PM

Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Shaw-PTI (www.pti-us.com) uses Python in their software. See:
http://www.pti-us.com/pti/news/index.cfm and search "2004 PSS/E User Group
Meeting"

news:1104750017.235937.181370@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

Richards Noah \(IFR LIT MET\) 01-03-2005 05:19 PM

"It's me" <itsme@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:mBeCd.5832$5R.1770@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com ...
> Shaw-PTI (www.pti-us.com) uses Python in their software. See:
> http://www.pti-us.com/pti/news/index.cfm and search "2004 PSS/E User Group
> Meeting"

Begging your pardon, but a better resource would be the brochure available
(http://www.pti-us.com/PTI/company/brochures/PSSE.pdf). It appears that the
program was probably (originally) written in C/C++ (using MFC for the GUI),
and now employs Python for adding modules and scripting support. Very
interesting stuff :)

It's me 01-03-2005 06:56 PM

"Richards Noah (IFR LIT MET)" <Noah.Richards@infineon.com> wrote in message

> Begging your pardon, but a better resource would be the brochure available
> (http://www.pti-us.com/PTI/company/brochures/PSSE.pdf). It appears that

the
> program was probably (originally) written in C/C++ (using MFC for the

GUI),
> and now employs Python for adding modules and scripting support. Very
> interesting stuff :)

It was actually developed in Fortran some 35 years ago. Then migrated to
F77. Then added a C/C++ layer to sit ontop. Then converted to API based.
Then added a Python layer on top.

The only thing unfortunate is that they went with MFC on the newest version.
Yuck!

Aahz 01-03-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python

In article <1104750017.235937.181370@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
<eeykay@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
>is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
>good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
>clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
>any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?

Are you looking to embed Python as a scripting language or to write the
software in Python?
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing." --Alan Perlis

Richards Noah \(IFR LIT MET\) 01-03-2005 07:26 PM

news:ozgCd.5867$5R.2655@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com ...

> "Richards Noah (IFR LIT MET)" <Noah.Richards@infineon.com> wrote in

message

> > Begging your pardon, but a better resource would be the brochure

available
> > (http://www.pti-us.com/PTI/company/brochures/PSSE.pdf). It appears that

> the
> > program was probably (originally) written in C/C++ (using MFC for the

> GUI),
> > and now employs Python for adding modules and scripting support. Very
> > interesting stuff :)
> >

> It was actually developed in Fortran some 35 years ago. Then migrated to
> F77. Then added a C/C++ layer to sit ontop. Then converted to API

based.
> Then added a Python layer on top.
>
> The only thing unfortunate is that they went with MFC on the newest

version.
> Yuck!

Hahaha, sounds like a party to me. And they didn't even throw in a layer of
Lisp for good effort? Too bad, if you ask me :)

Terry Reedy 01-03-2005 07:44 PM

Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python

<eeykay@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1104750017.235937.181370@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications.

We are in a weird catch-22 type situation here. Because the license is so
open, companies that use Python just use it. No payment, no curtesy
registration, no verifiable trace unless they care to disclose (and most
don't).

The license could be paraphrased as "Don't sue us or do anything that would
cause anyone else to sue us and we won't sue you." There is a posted
request for thank you donations but not enough commercial users do so to
even hire one full time programmer, let alone a lawyer (above the bare
minimum required for PSF to legally function). The PSF is about as far
from the RIAA and MPAA as possible.

There are Python Success Stories at the Python site and elsewhere (try
Google on the newsgroup. You could also agree to be responsible for any
legal action initiated by the PSF not due to obvious malfeance, like trying
to register a copyright on the Python source. Or you could suggest that
they purchase a license with a donation to the PSF.

Terry J. Reedy

It's me 01-03-2005 07:53 PM

Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Well, now that they are API based, they can easily add any script language
they so wish through SWIG (www.swig.org).

Maybe not LISP. SNOBOL would be the right thing to do. (*NOT*)

vincent wehren 01-03-2005 08:10 PM

eeykay@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
> any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?
> Thanks for any help.
> eeykay

At CSB-System AG, we use Python extensively as embedded scripting
language throughout the ERP system we develop (fields of application:
system automation, GUI scripting, programmable user exits, reporting,
data access/replication, autotests, and apart from that, everywhere we
need something done fast ;-).

I'm sure that its liberal license was among the main drivers to use it
in the first place!

--
Vincent Wehren