Velocity Reviews

-   -   Layer 4 Switch and Server Load Balance Device (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t33924-layer-4-switch-and-server-load-balance-device.html)

Michael 06-08-2004 01:14 PM

Layer 4 Switch and Server Load Balance Device

Hi all,

I know layer 4 switches are capable of server load balancing. What's the
main difference(pros and cons) between so called layer 4 switches and
dedicated server load balance devices?

Which device suits us in case we're going to setup web server load balancing
with budget below $US10,000?

Tosh 06-09-2004 05:34 AM

Re: Layer 4 Switch and Server Load Balance Device

> I know layer 4 switches are capable of server load balancing. What's the
> main difference(pros and cons) between so called layer 4 switches and
> dedicated server load balance devices?

The big difference, among the others, is that l4 switches balance the entire
protocol (http), l7 switches balance the url, so you can create groups of
servers tied to the same public address, each one of those groups stores a
specific content.
Bye,
Tosh.