Velocity Reviews

-   -   Automate Python-2.4 Installs on Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t339168-automate-python-2-4-installs-on-windows.html)

Brad Tilley 12-13-2004 01:28 PM

Automate Python-2.4 Installs on Windows

Windows users may find this of interest:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rtilley/...n_install.html

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= 12-13-2004 11:08 PM

Re: Automate Python-2.4 Installs on Windows

Brad Tilley wrote:
> Windows users may find this of interest:
>
> http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rtilley/...n_install.html

It gives me a dialog 'Enter username and password for "Authentication"'.
What username and password should I use?

I personally recommend

http://www.python.org/2.4/msi.html

to learn about automatic installation.

Regards,
Martin

Fredrik Lundh 12-13-2004 11:47 PM

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> I personally recommend
>
> http://www.python.org/2.4/msi.html
>
> to learn about automatic installation.

which might be great if you know how things work, but is bloody confusing
if you don't. most importantly, how do you set properties? a couple of larger
examples wouldn't hurt (which was Brad's point, I think).

</F>

Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non triviale en fuite perpétuelle. 12-14-2004 12:06 AM

Re: Automate Python-2.4 Installs on Windows

+1

Michel Claveau

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= 12-14-2004 11:05 PM

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>>http://www.python.org/2.4/msi.html

> which might be great if you know how things work, but is bloody confusing
> if you don't. most importantly, how do you set properties?

How do you know they are called properties?-) I would have thought that
"Additional parameters can be passed at the end of this command line" is
precise enough, but perhaps readers ignore it, so I have added an
example explaining how to do that.

> a couple of larger examples wouldn't hurt

Except that I don't know how to do that. Which examples, and where to
add them? And how make them larger?

Regards,
Martin

Fredrik Lundh 12-14-2004 11:49 PM

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> which might be great if you know how things work, but is bloody confusing
>> if you don't. most importantly, how do you set properties?

> How do you know they are called properties?-) I would have thought that
> "Additional parameters can be passed at the end of this command line" is precise enough

not when you call them "properties" in the rest of the document:

"The property TARGETDIR ...", "A number of properties", etc.

(and KEY=VALUE isn't exactly standard command-line syntax, even under
Windows).

</F>