Velocity Reviews

-   -   PyQt on MAC OS X (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t339157-pyqt-on-mac-os-x.html)

Michael McGarry 12-13-2004 08:01 AM

PyQt on MAC OS X

Hi,

I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
can't get past configuring sip.

I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

I downloaded sip-4.1 from
http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
unpacked it, ran

python configure.py

and got this error:

Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.

Any ideas?

Michael

Phil Thompson 12-13-2004 10:35 AM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
> can't get past configuring sip.
>
> I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
> qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
>
> I downloaded sip-4.1 from
> http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
> unpacked it, ran
>
> python configure.py
>
> and got this error:
>
> Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
> 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
>

> Any ideas?

The Fink version of Qt isn't officially supported (the native version is),
although there is a user contributed README.Fink (either with SIP or PyQt,
can't remember which).

Phil

Kevin Walzer 12-13-2004 04:11 PM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

Michael McGarry 12-13-2004 11:42 PM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

Kevin Walzer wrote:

Kevin,

thanks that did the trick!!!

One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

Any ideas?

Michael

glenn andreas 12-14-2004 12:11 AM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

In article <ONpvd.95971$EZ.74694@okepread07>,
Michael McGarry <replytogroup@nospam.org> wrote:

> One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
> the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
>
> Any ideas?

If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
this - perhaps this is the problem?

Michael McGarry 12-14-2004 02:47 AM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

glenn andreas wrote:
> In article <ONpvd.95971$EZ.74694@okepread07>,
> Michael McGarry <replytogroup@nospam.org> wrote:
>

>>One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
>>the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
> this - perhaps this is the problem?

What do you mean?

Kevin Walzer 12-14-2004 04:12 AM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

Michael McGarry wrote:
| Kevin Walzer wrote:
|
| I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
| http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html
|
| I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
| welcome to give it a try.
|

| Michael McGarry wrote:
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
| | can't get past configuring sip.
| |
| | I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
| | qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
| |
| | I downloaded sip-4.1 from
| | http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
| | unpacked it, ran
| |
| | python configure.py
| |
| | and got this error:
| |
| | Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
| | 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
| |
| |
| | Any ideas?
| |
| | Michael
|

| Kevin,

| thanks that did the trick!!!

| One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
| the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of
weird.

| Any ideas?

| Michael

Michael,

Are you referring to the application you're developing, or the Eric3 IDE
that I bundled? I've observed that Eric3 hesitates for a second before
taking focus, though it eventually does if you click on the window. I've
observed this with other Qt apps in general, including some of the other
PyQt apps I've bundled on my own machine.

If the window never takes focus at all, it might be something as basic
as starting your application with "python" instead of "pythonw" if you
are launching it from the command line. You need to use "pythonw" to
correctly access the windowing system.

An easy way to start your app wtih the correct python command is simply
to double-click it instead of running it from terminal. That will
automatically call pythonw.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

- --
Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw@wordtech-software.com

whamoo 12-14-2004 08:49 AM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

Michael McGarry <replytogroup@nospam.org> wrote:

> thanks that did the trick!!!
>
> One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
> the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
>
> Any ideas?

You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)

--
Whamoo www.rknet.it
Powerd by: MacOsX, Gnu/Linux Debian Sarge,

Michael McGarry 12-14-2004 03:42 PM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

whamoo wrote:
> Michael McGarry <replytogroup@nospam.org> wrote:
>

>>thanks that did the trick!!!
>>
>>One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
>>the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
> So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)

Thanks using pythonw did the trick.

I appreciate everyone's help.

whamoo 12-14-2004 07:34 PM

Re: PyQt on MAC OS X

dMichael McGarry <replytogroup@nospam.org> wrote:

> > You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
> > So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)
> >

> Thanks using pythonw did the trick.
>
> I appreciate everyone's help.

;-) Happy programming with your mac and python