Velocity Reviews

-   -   Python mascot proposal (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t339138-python-mascot-proposal.html)

Dimitri Tcaciuc 12-12-2004 08:54 PM

Python mascot proposal

Hey everybody,

While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up with
yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers,

Dimitri.

Jeremy Bowers 12-12-2004 09:04 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
> I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
> for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
> the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
"diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
getting that across. But I do like the drawing.

Dimitri Tcaciuc 12-12-2004 09:09 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
>
>>I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
>>for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
>>the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

> I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
> itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
> "diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
> getting that across. But I do like the drawing.

Heh, well, I tried to pick the actual snake colors, but I agree that it
looks rather plagued. I shall remove the colouring for now, and think on
a more lively colour scheme.

Steven Bethard 12-12-2004 09:23 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
>
>>I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
>>for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
>>the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

> I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
> itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
> "diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
> getting that across. But I do like the drawing.

Yeah, cool drawing, though I also think I'd change the colors too. They
don't really match up with the traditional Python icon. If you're on
windows this is in the root directory of your Python install, e.g.:

C:\Program Files\Python\py.ico

I don't know if this file is distributed with the other installs...

Anyway, your pic's cool, but I'd prefer to at least keep the same
coloring as the traditional Python python.

Steve

richard 12-12-2004 09:59 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
> While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
> have any official mascot or logo.

As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
around the place - the windows installer, for example.

> Hence, here's something I came up with
> yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
> show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
>
> http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

Very cute :)

Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.

Richard

Dimitri Tcaciuc 12-12-2004 10:18 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

richard wrote:
> Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
>
>>While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
>>have any official mascot or logo.

> As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
> around the place - the windows installer, for example.
>

>>Hence, here's something I came up with
>>yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
>>show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
>>
>>http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

> Very cute :)
>
> Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
> snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
> name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
> that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
> uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.
>

> Richard

Yup, I was aware of the fact of Monty Python roots of the language name.
However, you will probably agree that a snake is more associative.

Plus, if to use some characteristic MP feature like a giant foot, I'm
not positive that it won't trigger any copyright issues.

Bud Rogers 12-12-2004 10:31 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

richard wrote:

> Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do
> with snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the
> language's name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a
> number of times that he's not fond of using a snake for logos.

Some time ago while cruising a Barnes & Noble I found a Python book I
hadn't seen before. I don't remember the title at the moment, and I
don't have the book at hand, but the cover had a large python staring
down at a small frightened rodent. When I went to check out, the
person at the counter was a kind of frumpy librarian type. She looked
at the cover and made some snide remark about frightening small
children. I thought for a moment about trying to explain to her that
the cover art was an inside joke on an inside joke. When I realized
how far back I would have to go to unwind all the references, it just
didn't seem worth the trouble.

Luis M. Gonzalez 12-12-2004 11:49 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Hey Dimitri,

I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
logo.
I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
other mainstream languages.

2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
identifying Python.

3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
have been that succesfull.

I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
"killer" image.
Something that reflects power and excellence.

What do you think?

Diez B. Roggisch 12-12-2004 11:56 PM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Nice drawing!

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch

Dimitri Tcaciuc 12-13-2004 12:42 AM

Re: Python mascot proposal

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> Hey Dimitri,
>
> I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
> logo.
> I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:
>
> 1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
> If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
> that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
> other mainstream languages.
>
> 2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
> identifying Python.
>
> 3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
> everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
> sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
> have been that succesfull.
>
> I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
> alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
> It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
> "killer" image.
> Something that reflects power and excellence.
>
> What do you think?

Hehe, well, looking at linux, Tux is definitely not a killer type, yet
it became very popular. BSD devil is kind of a cutsy thing, yet it
proved to be pretty popular as well.

Not sure if the word 'marketing' applies here, but I agree that the logo
could probably be 'more serious' than what I proposed above. I'll think
about that one some more.

Cheers,