Velocity Reviews

-   -   xmlrpclib or twisted? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t338881-xmlrpclib-or-twisted.html)

flupke 12-06-2004 10:11 AM

xmlrpclib or twisted?

Hi,

previously i made an application that used sockets to
do some network based processing.
My next app is again going to be a client/server app
and i wanted to see if i can't find an easier way to
make the networking going.
I bumped into xmlrpclib and also twisted (pb).
I'm not sure which on of these would suit my needs better.
I am planning to build a web GUI for the client so if i
use twisted, i would already have the components in there
to do so, so this could be a plus for twisted.
The client will connect to the server to receive data.
The data is the result of one of several queries and these raw
results would then be displayed in the client via a webgui or
wxPython. (leaning towards webgui)

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Benedict

Istvan Albert 12-06-2004 03:09 PM

Re: xmlrpclib or twisted?

flupke wrote:

> I am planning to build a web GUI for the client so if i

If you are planning to build a browser based interface
then use an available webserver and don't build
your own.

Istvan.

Andy Gross 12-06-2004 05:56 PM

Re: xmlrpclib or twisted?

If you're not concerned about interoperability with other languages and
are already using Twisted, I'd go with PB. Especially if you are using
complicated datatypes that have to be serialized and sent over the wire
- PB has a nice Cacheable type that doesn't serialize the whole object.
XMLRPC on the other hand is a little simpler and will work with
third-party stuff.

/arg

flupke 12-14-2004 09:01 AM

Re: xmlrpclib or twisted?