Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to config non-Lib\site-packages\ distutils windows install destination directory? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t337513-how-to-config-non-lib-site-packages-distutils-windows-install-destination-directory.html)

Bengt Richter 10-27-2004 11:03 PM

how to config non-Lib\site-packages\ distutils windows install destination directory?

I'd like to override the default

d:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\

destination, at least as an option. I have used installshield in the past,
which gives extensive control over just about everything, if you want to go
to the trouble. Is "the trouble" in this case modifying distutils?

Non un-related BTW (/rant ;-):

when I want to set up foo, I'd like to type

setup foo

or maybe

python setup.py -some -opts foo

but I really dislike the idea of setup.py being something foo-specific
that I write. I should be able to do setup foo and setup bar in the
same directory if I want to. IMO it's like creating a make.py or gcc.py
for each foo, bar, or whatever, and having to do it in separate directories
just to avoid name clash. Ick.

Generic tool names should invoke generic functionality IMO. I'd like foo.mak and
foo.cfg etc. to be where foo-specific stuff goes. If there needs to be separate
options for admin and plain user, then the admin context foo config can specify
how/whether to handle the rest and the rules for where to look.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= 10-28-2004 07:01 PM

Re: how to config non-Lib\site-packages\ distutils windows installdestination directory?

Bengt Richter wrote:
> I'd like to override the default
>
> d:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\
>
> destination, at least as an option. I have used installshield in the past,
> which gives extensive control over just about everything, if you want to go
> to the trouble. Is "the trouble" in this case modifying distutils?

You could modify PC/bdist_wininst/install.c, i.e. the two instances of
SCHEME. Alternatively, you can just modify the file names in the zip
file to not refer to PURELIB resp. PLATLIB anymore.

Regards,
Martin