Velocity Reviews

-   -   spanning tree (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t33491-spanning-tree.html)

David Reinhart 05-14-2004 04:19 PM

spanning tree

Do I have to use spanning tree in a stack configuration?

We have a stack of eight cisco 3750 catalyst switches, we don't use
uplinks. The master switch has a link to the router. I have spanning
tree enabled for preventing loops. I thinks in this config i cannot
get a loop? But are there disadvantages of enabeling spanning tree?
We have about 60 terminal servers connected to this switches and some
novell 6.0 file-servers..

Any information will be great..

Thanks.

Walter Roberson 05-14-2004 05:34 PM

Re: spanning tree

In article <bc932412.0405140819.1db42d57@posting.google.com >,
David Reinhart <d.reinhart@vedior.nl> wrote:
:Do I have to use spanning tree in a stack configuration?

Not really.

:We have a stack of eight cisco 3750 catalyst switches, we don't use
:uplinks. The master switch has a link to the router. I have spanning
:tree enabled for preventing loops. I thinks in this config i cannot
:get a loop?

Until, that is, someone plugs in something without you knowing it.

:But are there disadvantages of enabeling spanning tree?
:We have about 60 terminal servers connected to this switches and some
:novell 6.0 file-servers..

I don't know how things are where you work, but our users here have a
tendancy to plug in hubs and switches without talking to us first. Not
that it happens "often", but people sometimes look around, see they
don't have enough drops in the right place for what they want to do,
and get the bright idea of buying a $20 hub to 'fix' the problem.
It's the price we pay for not using port-level security and not
locking down by MAC address (which would increase our workload as
people move machines around.)
--
Look out, there are llamas!

Andre Wisniewski 05-14-2004 05:48 PM

Re: spanning tree

On 14 May 2004 09:19:53 -0700, David Reinhart <d.reinhart@vedior.nl> wrote:

> Do I have to use spanning tree in a stack configuration?
>
> We have a stack of eight cisco 3750 catalyst switches, we don't use
> uplinks. The master switch has a link to the router. I have spanning
> tree enabled for preventing loops. I thinks in this config i cannot
> get a loop? But are there disadvantages of enabeling spanning tree?
> We have about 60 terminal servers connected to this switches and some
> novell 6.0 file-servers..
>
> Any information will be great..
>
> Thanks.

You cant't get a loop, that's right. However all techniques have advantages
and disadvantages also spanning tree.

Have a look at: http://www.hojmark.net/spane_an.pdf

In my experiance spanning tree is working fine. We prosecute a data
processing
center with about 30 switches and 50 routers and our customers use realtime
applications and we don't have any problems.

--
Gruß Andre

--- Using Opera