Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco VPN (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t33428-cisco-vpn.html)

Matt 05-11-2004 08:55 PM

Cisco VPN

With a Cisco VPN on a Cisco 3015 is there any requirement for like
256k/sec to be able to keep the VPN up? Will the VPN drop if you have
less then that? We have a client who is saying that they require 256 or
more to keep their VPN up.

Walter Roberson 05-11-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Cisco VPN

In article <c7reiq01kej@enews1.newsguy.com>,
Matt <matth+newsgroups@matthoppes.org> wrote:
>With a Cisco VPN on a Cisco 3015 is there any requirement for like
>256k/sec to be able to keep the VPN up? Will the VPN drop if you have
>less then that? We have a client who is saying that they require 256 or
>more to keep their VPN up.

The VPN should stay up until it has been idle for about twice the
configured SA lifetime. [More correctly: when the SA lifetime expires,
a new session key will be negotiated a few seconds before the
expiry of the old one, provided that there was any real traffic at all
during the previous period. Thus, the connection will be extended
until it has been idle during one complete SA rekey cycle.]

I haven't used any of the VPN concentrators, but I can say that
it isn't uncommon for some of our SAs between PIXes to be idle for
days at a time. We don't even average 256 Kbit/second for our
entire site overnight.

I would say that any problem along the lines your client is seeing
arise from other causes entirely. How are they connected to the
net? Perhaps they are using a 'dialer' interface that is incorrectly
set in determining when the interface is 'idle'. (But even that shouldn't
disrupt the SA in itself.)

--
Warning: potentially contains traces of nuts.