Velocity Reviews

-   -   Interconnection between CAT4003 and 2970 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t33401-interconnection-between-cat4003-and-2970-a.html)

Hoosier Daddy 05-10-2004 05:22 PM

Interconnection between CAT4003 and 2970

Looking for best practice to connect 4003 WS-4232-L3 module to a 2970
Gigabit switch.

Both GBIC slots are open on the WS-4232-L3, and I haven't purchased
the 2970 yet.

Is there a GBIC module that has a built-in copper transciever
(converter) so I can use twisted pair OR
Do I need to buy the 2970 TS series with the 4 SFP connections so I
can interconnect 1000fX?

I don't know what flavors of GBIC modules are available.

(Supervisor 1 Engine on 4003 if that is pertinent)

Thanks in advance!

Joe Q

Walter Roberson 05-10-2004 06:10 PM

Re: Interconnection between CAT4003 and 2970

In article <af90c872.0405100922.122f3f01@posting.google.com >,
Hoosier Daddy <spam.garbage@verizon.net> wrote:
:Looking for best practice to connect 4003 WS-4232-L3 module to a 2970
:Gigabit switch.

:Is there a GBIC module that has a built-in copper transciever

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...it/1kbs_ds.htm

Not listed as supporting the 4003 though.

If you wanted to experiment, then you might also want to
experiment with

http://www.finisar.com/optics/FCM-8520-8521-3.php

However, neither of these devices is inexpensive!!! You might find
it less expensive to go the 1000-fx route (and better supported.)
There are various third-party SX GBICs known to work fairly well with
most Cisco equipment.