Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows build/debugging change for 2.3? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t333503-windows-build-debugging-change-for-2-3-a.html)

David Abrahams 07-22-2004 08:08 PM

Windows build/debugging change for 2.3?

Around the time I upgraded to Python 2.3 (can't be absolutely certain,
though) I started to notice that debugging extension modules with VS
2003 became more painful. In particular, now, even if I stop
debugging, I can't rebuild the extension module unless I explicitly
quit VS. The complaint is that "the file is in use by some other
process". Is this a change in the Python build, or something I am
doing wrong, or something else?

TIA,
Dave

--
David Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Neil Hodgson 07-22-2004 11:16 PM

Re: Windows build/debugging change for 2.3?

David Abrahams:

> Around the time I upgraded to Python 2.3 (can't be absolutely certain,
> though) I started to notice that debugging extension modules with VS
> 2003 became more painful. In particular, now, even if I stop
> debugging, I can't rebuild the extension module unless I explicitly
> quit VS. The complaint is that "the file is in use by some other
> process". Is this a change in the Python build, or something I am
> doing wrong, or something else?

I have seen a lot more of these since upgrading to VS .NET 2003 from VS
..NET 2002 even when working with non-Python projects. The DevPartner
Profiler has looked to be the culprit mostly which is understandable as it
is manipulating files in common with VS .NET but sometimes I see the message
even when DevPartner shouldn't be doing anything. They have mostly been
momentary locks although there have been occasional process and machine
restarts required.

Neil