Velocity Reviews

-   -   CGIHTTPServer / not user 'nobody' (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t332821-cgihttpserver-not-user-nobody.html)

Sullivan 07-03-2004 07:00 PM

CGIHTTPServer / not user 'nobody'

When I run a CGI script (Python) with Python's CGIHTTPServer, it
should run with the UID of the user 'nobody' (as the documentation
says).

But if I let the CGI script e.g. create a file, it creates the
file with the UID of the user who started the CGIHTTPServer.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sullivan 07-04-2004 11:26 AM

Re: CGIHTTPServer / not user 'nobody'

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 21:00:20 +0200, Sullivan wrote:

> When I run a CGI script (Python) with Python's CGIHTTPServer, it
> should run with the UID of the user 'nobody' (as the documentation
> says).
>
> But if I let the CGI script e.g. create a file, it creates the
> file with the UID of the user who started the CGIHTTPServer.
>
> Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Answer to myself:

What I did wrong was not to think first resp. not to read the
source code of CGIHTTPServer; clearly, CGIHTTPServer can only
fork to run the CGI script as user 'nobody' when it is run
by 'root' and not by an arbitrary user. (If an arbitrary user
can't 'su - nobody' without knowing nobody's password, how should
CGIHTTPServer do it :-)

Sorry!