Velocity Reviews

-   -   PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t330517-pyopengl-demo-in-wxpython-demo-crashes.html)

F. GEIGER 05-03-2004 06:24 AM

PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

Hi all,

I wanted to look at the PyOpenGL demo in the wxPython demo, but had no luck:

"Runtime Error
Program: C:\...\pythonw.exe
abnormal program termination"

Has anyone overcome this problem?

Many thanks in advance and best regards
Franz GEIGER

P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into
\WINNT\System32.

Peter Hansen 05-03-2004 12:56 PM

Re: PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

F. GEIGER wrote:

> I wanted to look at the PyOpenGL demo in the wxPython demo, but had no luck:
>
> "Runtime Error
> Program: C:\...\pythonw.exe
> abnormal program termination"
>
> Has anyone overcome this problem?

I have this as well after a recent upgrade and a series of other
problems (which will never be reproducible), and it's still here
after a re-install of all things Python-related. (So I assume I
have some video driver problems.) I cannot say for sure that it
ever worked on this machine as it's fairly new and I don't recall
running any PyOpenGL on it since I got it.

> P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
> PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into
> \WINNT\System32.

Python 2.3.3 on WinXP, wxPython 2.5.1.5, same PyOpenGL, and no
idea what glut.dll version I have. This is running the "GLCanvas"
demo, as the old OpenGL demo appears to be gone in the latest
wxPython release (or is it just a name-change?).

(Don't know what glut.dll is or where it's from either... my
last-modified date says 1998-08-11 but the attributes say it was
created 2004-3-7. I'll dig further if it appears to be relevant.)

-Peter

Mike C. Fletcher 05-03-2004 01:21 PM

Re: PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

Try installing Numarray. When the 2.0.1.07 binary was built the
packager had Numarray installed, and for some god-unknown (and
frustrating) reason just having the package installed appears to create
a (pointless extra) dependency on Numarray when you link to Numpy.

Everything else sounds fine,
Mike

Peter Hansen wrote:

> F. GEIGER wrote:

>> P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
>> PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6)
>> copied into
>> \WINNT\System32.

_______________________________________
Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

rzed 05-03-2004 02:10 PM

Re: PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

"F. GEIGER" <fgeiger@datec.at> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to look at the PyOpenGL demo in the wxPython demo, but
> had no luck:
>
> "Runtime Error
> Program: C:\...\pythonw.exe
> abnormal program termination"
>
> Has anyone overcome this problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance and best regards
> Franz GEIGER
>
> P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
> PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6)
> copied into \WINNT\System32.

I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

--
rzed

Cousin Stanley 05-03-2004 02:10 PM

Re: PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

# F. GEIGER ....

>> OS .......... Win2k
>> Python ...... 2.3.2
>> wxPython .... 2.4.2.4u,
>> PyOpenGL .... 2.0.1.07
>> glut.dll .... (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into \WINNT\System32.

# Peter Hansen ....

> OS .......... WinXP
> Python ...... 2.3.3
> wxPython .... 2.5.1.5,
> PyOpenGL .... 2.0.1.07
> glut.dll .... ????

# Stanley C. Kitching

OS ............ Win98_SE
Python ........ 2.3 Enthought
wxPython ...... 2.5.1.5
PyOpenGL ...... 2.0.1.07
glut.dll ...... None
glut32.dll .... ???? in PyOpenGL dir

Peter ....

The wx PyOpenGL demo works OK here
with the same combination of wx and OGL that you use,
but different OS and Python versions ....

--
Cousin Stanley
Human Being

Peter Hansen 05-03-2004 02:40 PM

rzed wrote:

> I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
> glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
> evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

That is evidently my problem as well, since after following Mike's
advice about numarray, the error changed to telling me that I
don't have OpenGL installed... which is at least true as far as
glut32.dll missing...

-Peter

Peter Hansen 05-03-2004 03:25 PM

Peter Hansen wrote:
> rzed wrote:
>
>> I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
>> glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
>> evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

> That is evidently my problem as well, since after following Mike's
> advice about numarray, the error changed to telling me that I
> don't have OpenGL installed... which is at least true as far as
> glut32.dll missing...

Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine. Google led me
to http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html from where I
downloaded a copy, manually stuck it in c:\windows\system32,
and PyOpenGL works now.

Now I see that this is on the pyopengl.sourceforge.net
installation notes page... I don't recall installing this
the same way last time, but there you go. Not only RTFM,
but go back and read it again another time if things still
don't work.

-Peter

Peter Hansen 05-03-2004 03:34 PM

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
> I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine.

I take the first part of that back. Turns out I never did
install GLUT on this machine (obvious now) and it was the
previous machine where I had the whole shebang running. If
my memory weren't so bad I would have known and followed
the detailed and excellent (thanks Mike! :-) instructions
like a good boy.

-Peter

Doug Holton 05-03-2004 04:23 PM

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
> I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine. Google led me
> to http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html from where I
> downloaded a copy, manually stuck it in c:\windows\system32,
> and PyOpenGL works now.
>
> Now I see that this is on the pyopengl.sourceforge.net
> installation notes page... I don't recall installing this
> the same way last time, but there you go. Not only RTFM,
> but go back and read it again another time if things still
> don't work.

Right, but this means anytime you want to distribute a program using
pyopengl you have to tell your users to manually install glut32.dll
also. pyopengl should run without requiring glut if you do not use the
glut functions, or else it should include a copy of glut32.dll itself.

F. GEIGER 05-03-2004 04:43 PM

Re: PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes

Thank you, Mike,

I installed Numarray 0.9 and that made the demo work (BTW, I had dropped
glut32.dll into my system32, not glut.dll - sorry for that typo).

Kind regards
Franz