Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f43-python.html)
-   -   emacs for OS X (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t330041-emacs-for-os-x.html)

Tuxtrax 04-20-2004 09:17 AM

emacs for OS X
 
Hi all

My editor of choice on linux for python, bar none, is xemacs. I love the
python mode that detects a python file and handles indentation and
coloration for me automagically.

I have been using a powerbook for a while now, and I finally found emacs
for aqua in OS X Jaguar (10.2.8). I downloaded it from porkrind.com. The
version of emacs is 21.3 I believe. Anyway, not only does it *not*
detect python files automatically, but it tries to use fundamental mode
to handle them which is a pain in the ass. I want my coloring and
indentation back, damn it all!

I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but not only
do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't find an emacs folder
or a .emac file. Just the emac program. Any help with this would be
greatly appreciated. If you have overcome this yourself I especially
want to hear from you.

In other news.....

I have a code question for you all. This one is a real trip. I am trying
to use NNTPLIB to download just the message numbers and "from" fields
for any specified number of messages I want, from 1 to 10,000. So far so
good. But when I play by the rules, I get unpredictable results. If I
ask for 20 from headers I get one. If I ask for 500, I get a couple. If
I ask for 6000, one time I might get 500, the next time I might get
2,300. It is very frustrating. Here is the code soundbite:

response, number_of_messages, first_available_message,
last_available_message, groupname = n.group(newsgroup)

###############
# Do we need to create run time files from server download?
# This section takes care of it if it needs to be done.

if dbuild_flag == 1 or fexist(database_shelve+".db") == 0:

# Retrieve and print From: information
# The NNTPlib xhdr routine returns a list of nested sublists. Each
# sulist contains a pair - message number, requested header in string
# form.

message_request = getinput("\nHow many posts should I be interested
in? [max 10,000]")

if int(message_request) > int(number_of_messages):
print "\nRequest exceeds current available message count.
Adjusting to %s posts" % number_of_messages
message_request = number_of_messages
elif int(message_request) > 10000:
print "\nRequest exceeds program capacity. Assuming max of 10,000
posts, and continuing ...."
message_request = "10000"


last_message = str(int(first_available_message) +
int(message_request))

stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_message

print "\nRetrieving list of first %s newsgroup participants" %
message_request
print "\nI'm working ..............."

# This is what should work reliably and is not:

response, poster = n.xhdr("from", stringrequest)

##################

Now when I make my xhdr request using the full range of messages as told
to me by:

response, number_of_messages, first_available_message,
last_available_message, groupname = n.group(newsgroup)

by changing:

stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_message

to:

stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_available_message

I get reliable results every time. Anyone care to help me on this one?
It simply makes no sense that I should be able to get reliable results
only when I ask for all 48,000 "from" message headers available from my
newsgroup of choice. I have verified, by the way, that last_message is a
properly formed string in the format needed by xhdr.

thanks, and best regards,

Mathew

--
ROT 13 this address to mail me:

bar jbeq abg guerr; uvtu qrfreg zna, gura nqq - ng lnubb qbg pbz.

Wezzy 04-20-2004 01:23 PM

Re: emacs for OS X
 
Tuxtrax <See_my@Signature.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My editor of choice on linux for python, bar none, is xemacs. I love the
> python mode that detects a python file and handles indentation and
> coloration for me automagically.
>
> I have been using a powerbook for a while now, and I finally found emacs
> for aqua in OS X Jaguar (10.2.8). I downloaded it from porkrind.com. The
> version of emacs is 21.3 I believe. Anyway, not only does it *not*
> detect python files automatically, but it tries to use fundamental mode
> to handle them which is a pain in the ass. I want my coloring and
> indentation back, damn it all!
>
> I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but not only
> do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't find an emacs folder
> or a .emac file. Just the emac program. Any help with this would be
> greatly appreciated. If you have overcome this yourself I especially
> want to hear from you.
>
> In other news.....
>


I use Emacs with Panther but i think that the situation is the same.
Download python-mode from python.org:
http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el

Compile the file

Move both file where emacs can find them

Open Terminal
The .emacs file is into your home folder (tipically /Users/<youid>) so
when you open terminal you are already in the right place

add the following lines to your .emacs file :

(setq auto-mode-alist
(cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist
(cons '("python" . python-mode)
interpreter-mode-alist))
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
(global-font-lock-mode t)
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

(i've found this code in www.python.org)

Now when you try to open a .py file emacs loads python-mode
Hope this helps

--
Ciao
Fabio

Skip Montanaro 04-20-2004 02:45 PM

Re: emacs for OS X
 

Tuxtrax> I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but
Tuxtrax> not only do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't
Tuxtrax> find an emacs folder or a .emac file. Just the emac
Tuxtrax> program. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If
Tuxtrax> you have overcome this yourself I especially want to hear from
Tuxtrax> you.

Stick it in a directory in your Emacs load-path and byte-compile it. C-h v
load-path RET will show you what your load-path is. M-x byte-compile-file
RET will prompt you for a file to compile. Respond with the full path to
your copy of python-mode.el. Finally, associate .py files with python-mode
by adding something like

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))

to your ~/.xemacs (or ~/.xemacs/init.el, depending on XEmacs version) file.

Skip


Skip Montanaro 04-20-2004 06:54 PM

Re: emacs for OS X
 

Wezzy> Download python-mode from python.org:
Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el

Ancient, ancient, ancient!

Pop up a level to

http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/

and you'll read:

The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.

The version you referred to (which I don't think is any longer linked to
from the website) is 4.6. The current version is 4.54.

Skip


Wezzy 04-20-2004 09:20 PM

Re: emacs for OS X
 
Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> wrote:

> Wezzy> Download python-mode from python.org:
> Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el
>
> Ancient, ancient, ancient!
>
> Pop up a level to
>
> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/
>
> and you'll read:
>
> The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
> website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.
>


Today when i post my message i've opened
http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/ and followed the link to sf.net
but the project hasn't released any file yet, so i've posted the url to
the www.python.org version that is still online.

> The version you referred to (which I don't think is any longer linked to
> from the website) is 4.6. The current version is 4.54.
>


i've downloaded python-mode.el few time ago so i didn't know that there
are new versions, thanks for this info. (Anyway the old one is still
online)

--
Ciao
Fabio

Skip Montanaro 04-20-2004 10:05 PM

Re: emacs for OS X
 

>> The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
>> website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.


Wezzy> Today when i post my message i've opened
Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/ and followed the link to
Wezzy> sf.net but the project hasn't released any file yet, so i've
Wezzy> posted the url to the www.python.org version that is still
Wezzy> online.

You've shamed me into releasing the single file which is part of the
project. The new release is "barking-up-the-wrong-tree". If we get more
formal with the releases perhaps I'll adopt a numeric release schedule.

Wezzy> (Anyway the old one is still online)

I'll see about deleting it.

Skip



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.