Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs PythonClasses] (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t329361-re-ot-top-posting-is-a-pita-was-prothon-prototypes-vs-pythonclasses.html)

Michael 03-31-2004 11:08 PM

Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs PythonClasses]

>This is actually better than top-posting. At least the reading
>direction is _consistently_ upwards, rather than requiring people to
>leap forwards and back through the post in a desperate attempt to find
>the clues they need.

That'd get really interesting when posting code examples. Why on Earth
would you leap forwards and back through a top post to find anything?
You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
text. You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
specific message this message was in reply to. Top-posting should
require you to scroll your screen less. I think if I started posting
bottom-top text as you say you like better than top-posting then I'd
rightly be killed by the list Gods.

Ben Finney 04-01-2004 02:02 AM

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:08:38 -0800, Michael wrote:
> Why on Earth would you leap forwards and back through a top post to
> find anything?

Why on Earth would to include the quoted material if it's irrelevant to
your post?

> You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
> text. You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
> specific message this message was in reply to.

That information is already provided in the message headers
(specifically, the "References:" header on Usenet posts, the
"In-Reply-To:" header on emails).

> Top-posting should require you to scroll your screen less. I think if
> I started posting bottom-top text as you say you like better than
> top-posting then I'd rightly be killed by the list Gods.

If you only include the stuff you actually want to be read, then your
post is able to be read once, in a single direction.

Quote only the part of the original message you are replying to.

Reply below each part you're responding to, in chronological order.

Anything else is confusing and irritating for anyone who has learned to
read any human writing system.

--
\ "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh |
`\ at that man." -- Jack Handey |

Stephen Horne 04-01-2004 03:11 AM

<mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu> wrote:

>>This is actually better than top-posting. At least the reading
>>direction is _consistently_ upwards, rather than requiring people to
>>leap forwards and back through the post in a desperate attempt to find
>>the clues they need.
>>

>That'd get really interesting when posting code examples. Why on Earth
>would you leap forwards and back through a top post to find anything?
>You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
>text.

Rubish. You read the top post until you don't know what it's talking
about, and then you have to read stuff in the quoted text to find the
context, then you return to the top until you hit the next problem,
and then you're back to the quoted text again and so on.

> You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
>specific message this message was in reply to.

My memory isn't that good that I can remember everything about some
post written days ago just from identifying which particular one it
was. Even if I did, I won't necessarily understand the logical
connections between parts of the reply and parts of the replied-to
message unless they are ordered such that each piece of the reply
follows a quote identifying the specific thing it is replying to.

--
Steve Horne