Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t329266-a-byte-of-python-python-book-tutorial.html)

Swaroop C H 03-05-2004 09:11 PM

A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial

Hello everyone,

I have a written a book on Python which serves as a tutorial or
guide for anyone who wants to learn Python. It specifically targets
beginners but experienced programmers can benefit a lot with the
special notes for them.

The chapters are :

Contents at a Glance

1. Introduction
2. Installing Python
3. First Steps
4. Basics
5. Operators and Expressions
6. Control Flow
7. Functions
8. Modules
9. Data Structures
10. Problem Solving - Writing a Python Script
11. Object-Oriented Programming
12. Input/Output
13. Exceptions
14. The Python Standard Library
15. More Python
16. What Next?
17. Appendices
* Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)
* About

The book is located at :

http://www.python.g2swaroop.net/

During my first brush with Python, I felt there was a need for a good
introductory guide to Python, and recent discussions on comp.lang.python
reinforce that. I hope this book helps fill that void.

This is my first attempt at writing anything so huge and so I am looking
forward to your suggestions and criticisms so that I can further improve the
book.

Thanks,
Swaroop C H
www.python.g2swaroop.net

Miklós 03-05-2004 11:31 PM

Re: A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial

It's a nice work.. Well done.
Maybe you could mention briefly one the main strongholds of Python, i.e. its
extensibility.

Best,
Miklós

news:5168381b.0403051311.5f1c843f@posting.google.c om...

Oren Tirosh 03-06-2004 02:33 PM

Re: A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial

"""There are so many programming languages out there, but has there ever
been one which is both simple and powerful? And which is good for both
beginners as well as experts? And which is fun to program with? There is!
It is called Python. This book will help you learn this wonderful language
and show how to get things done quickly and painlessly - in effect "The
Perfect Anti-Venom for your programming problems!"

Python is talked about as the 100-year language. Why? Because they say it
will be the only programming language in use a 100 years from now...
"""

I think I am as enthusiastic about Python as anyone else on this newsgroup
but this gushing praise of Python in the preface makes me a bit uneasy. If
I were new to Python it would be a complete turnoff for me "...oh no, yet
another religious fanatic..."

I think it may be better to tone it down a little to avoid alienating
potential new converts to our secret cult planning world domination ;-)

Oren