Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: xmlrpclib timeouts (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t329069-re-xmlrpclib-timeouts.html)

p2esp 03-02-2004 02:35 PM

Re: xmlrpclib timeouts

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using the xmlrpclib module to contact an XMLRPC
>> server that takes a long time to send results back.

My
>> client timeouts.
>>
>> The question is whether there is a way to have an
>> xmlrpclib client that never timeouts. I have been
>> searching for some code examples on how to do that,
>> but I could not find any in the xmlrpclib
>> documentation.
>>
>> Thanks for any hints.

> "Client that never times out" is not a good idea,

generally.
> Nothing in life is certain, but even moreso in

distributed
> systems. Timeouts are there to protect you from all

kinds
> of problem conditions (busy server, crashed
> server, etc.). You really don't want your client to

be in a
> position of waiting for a response that is never

going to
> come.

> Paul

Thank you Paul for your informative message.

I do understand it's not a good idea to do this, and I
will check what you suggest. Nevertheless, I still
want to know: can a "never timeout" client be written
in xmlrpclib?

http://search.yahoo.com

Ross M Karchner 03-02-2004 03:23 PM

Re: xmlrpclib timeouts

Maybe a timeoutsocket with really long timeout value would do what you want?

http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py

import timeoutsocket
timeoutsocket.setDefaultSocketTimeout(86400) # 24 hours

-Ross